English Heritage Overseas visitors pass

Jul 6th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

English Heritage Overseas visitors pass

There are so many different options for visitor passes, most of which are either a better value if you purchase before you leave or cheaper. I've checked out the London Pass and the Great British Heritage Pass and can see what properties they cover but I can't find a listing of the properties covered on the English Heritage pass, does such a list exist?
Jul 6th, 2004, 08:03 AM

I'm pretty sure that the properties covered by the English Heritage Pass are the same as those covered by the Great British Heritage Pass, but just the ones in England. If you have a list of GBHP sites, just cut out those in England, ignoring those in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and you'll be set. Basically for these passes, if you visit more than 5 properties, you'll be saving money over paying at the door, but that's just an estimate since admission prices vary from place to place.
Jul 6th, 2004, 08:18 AM

This is also an assumption.

English Heritage is a government-run organisation, similar in some respects to the National Trust, which preserves some historic sites. Some are free to get into anyway. As I understand it, the GBH Pass comes from a quite different commercial organisation.

Presumably your pass is something EH sell to overseas visitors. The historic sites they manage are listed on their website: www.english-heritage.org.uk
Jul 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks flanneruk, yes, it is an overseas pass. I had already looked at that website but gave it another shot and you can do a search under Places to Visit and Events, specify all properties and you get a list, although not very concise (10 records per page, 42 pages worth!). I searched just in London and near Warwick and there's not much I'm interested in so it doesn't look like it will work for me.

Daisy, FYI the English Heritage pass has a lot less even in England than the GBHP, I think they are separate organizations even though some of the places appear on both passes.
Jul 6th, 2004, 09:45 AM

For most folks the GBHP is by far the better bargain.

EH passes only cover English Heritage sites -- stonehenge, ruined castles, abbey and the like.

The National Trust pass only covers NT properties -- Sissinghurst, Hidecote Manor, Waddesdon and the like.

The GBHP covers ALL EH sites, ALL NT properties, SOME Royal sites (Windsor, Osborne House, etc), St Pauls Cathedral and assorted London sites, AND most privately owned sites -- Warwick, Blenheim, Chatsworth, Castle Howard, etc, etc.

The private places tend to be the most expensive - £10 to £13 each.

Just last week I used a 7-day GBHP ($38) and using it 1 day in London and 4 days in Kent/East Sussex I got over £83 worth of admissions. And if I had gone to the Tower and St Pauls this trip it would have been over £100 -- all for just $38 invested. I ALWAYS recommend the GBHP for the the vast majority of people.
Jul 6th, 2004, 06:08 PM

We just returned from England and saved a bundle of money on our 15-day British Heritage Pass. If you'll only be in London it may not pay for itself, but it's great if you'll be outside of London.

If you do buy the pass, get it from www.railpass.com. It's significantly cheaper than anywhere else. And if you wait till you get to the UK to purchase it, make sure you have your passport with you. They will only sell it to non-UK residents.
Jul 6th, 2004, 09:30 PM

Kristi, on our first trip to Britain, we toured by rental car for 6 weeks, through England, Scotland and Wales. Before leaving Australia, we each purchased a Heritage Pass (not sure which one)but I think it cost each of us about $90 or something like that. When we purchased the Pass from the British Tourist Office in Sydney, it wasn't dated, and they gave you a list of all the PROPERTIES that you could enter without paying. Not many in Greater London, but outside of LOndon, the list was huge, and we visited SO MANY castles, ruins, stonehenge, manor houses & gardens, that our passes had "paid" for itself 3 times over.
When you visit the first property in Britain, they date it, and from thereon, your pass will last for the period you originally purchased. I think our pass was 28 days.
We were castled out by the time the 28 days was up.