English Countryside: Where to Go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom wants to visit the Cotswolds, but she's insistent upon staying in a timeshare (don't even get me started on the wisdom of owning a timeshare!). The closest she can get is to rent a timeshare in one of these areas and I don't know anything about any of them:

Staffordshire
Canterbury
Hampshire
Lymington
Barham Kent
Brockenhurst

She is a very active, generally curious 70-year-old who loves gardening, history and sightseeing of all kinds. Are any of these places that you'd recommend spending a week? Are any close to the Cotswolds at all?
Thanks for your tips!
Kristen
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 06:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Aren't t there RCI properties in both The Forest of Dean and in Wellesborne near Stratford? AND in Stratford upon Avon itself? There used to be. Any of those would be much closer to the Cotswolds than any that you listed. NONE of your list are anywhere near the Cotswolds.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming that whichever timeshare organisation you're already dealing with has an online maps showing specific locations rather than the very broad general areas you're listing. You can compare those with the information at https://www.cotswolds.com/plan-your-...ravel-and-maps

How are you planning to get around from place to place? You can find information on public transport options at Plan your journey | Traveline

One tip: when looking for information on locations, it will help if you can find the postcode for accommodation or an attraction - for instance, the postcode for Sudeley Castle is GL54 5JD
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brockenhurst and Lymington are within a few miles of each other in the New Forest region of Hampshire (This presumes it isn't Lymington on the Isle of Wight). So depending on which part of the Cotswolds you wish to visit, anything from 70 to 120 miles away. It's a lovely part of the world, but not convenient as a base to visit the Cotswolds.
Canterbury is about 150 miles away, Barham slightly further

The southernmost parts of Staffordshire, to the northernmost parts of the Cotswolds are probably only 50 miles - but both are large areas so you would need to know exactly where in Staffordshire the timeshare is located.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 08:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've stayed at Elmer's Court which is I suspect the Lymington property listed, and it is terrific. A base fo the Cotswolds it is not.

I just remembered a timeshare resort actually IN the Cotswolds (haven't stayed there) -- Watermark. It is between South Cerney and Cricklade - maybe 5 or 6 miles from Cirencester.

And Stouts Hill is one I know of in the far western Cotswolds near Dursley . . . and is absolutely lovely.

Those two would be good if your mother definitely wants to stay in a timeshare resort property.