Reload this Page >

"English Accent" in other languages

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 01:38 PM
De Anna

Gerry's "American Accent" question made me think of something I've always wondered, which is: What does the English accent sound like in other languages? Let me clarify. When a French person speaks english, we (at least in the US) think it is a "sexy" accent. Other "foreign" accents don't sound as nice. <BR> <BR>So, what does the english accent sound like in other languages? (obviously each lang is different) (I'm not sure we have enough non-english natives on this forum to answer this question, but it's worth a shot...)

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 09:00 PM
clairobscur

I guess foreign accents are always more or less sexy. Speaking about british accent, this "sexy" thing certainly played a great part in the popularity in france of the actress/singer Jane Birkin, for instance, who certainly paid great attention not to lose it. <BR> <BR>Don't know if it's the same for british males, but I would suspect it is.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Myriam

Sometimes the English accent sounds very sophisticated. We used to have British TV-series like "Upstairs, downstairs" on Belgian television and the butler-style types have this very sophisticated accent. <BR>When someone speaks cockney, it sounds totally different!!

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Claudia

As an Italian native I can tell you how English accent sounds while speaking Italian: <BR>During the past decades all Italian people have seen Stan Laurels and Oliver Hardy dubbed, speaking in Italian with a strong English accent. I think thin is the reason why we think English accent is amusing! <BR>By the way, I am an amateurial actress and I am presently playing the role of an English woman speaking Italian with a funny accent...the audience seems to appreciate it a lot! (I think it works also the other way round: speaking English with Italian accent sounds quite funny. We deem Spanish accent to be very sexy while the French one is snob).

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Cindy

De Anna, <BR> <BR>I find the sound of a Spanish speaker speaking English to be really sexy. A French male speaking English sounds hysterically funny to me. <BR> <BR>Go figure.