Reload this Page >

England to Ireland - don't laugh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Lu

How does one get from Great Britain to Ireland? Fly? Boat? Is there a 'chunnel' type of transportation? Looking for most economical way for a student studying in the UK this summer who will travel to Ireland on own.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 06:53 AM
elvira

You can take ferries, but you're actually better off flying with a local air line like Ryanair. The fares are cheap, flight time is short, and you aren't at the mercy of the seas. You can fly to the city of your choice, rather than ferry to a port, then have to find transportation to your city.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Carrie

We took a ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland (Belfast). Then we flew back to Paris via Ryan Air (from Dublin). It is cheap and convenient.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Lu B.

Is there such a thing as a student fare on this airline or any in Europe for that matter? Thanks.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 01:41 PM
J.M.

You can also take a ferry from Holyhead on the coast of Wales to Ireland. Wales itself is beautiful, so make it a two-fer-one trip!

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 03:43 PM
Thyra

Lu, sometimes student rail passes can get you discounts on Ferries or can be valid on ferries. Also, I think a student ID may get you a discounted rate on the ferry. Airlines as far as I know don't give any kind of discounts to students.However, as another person posted Ryanair has some wonderful rates. Or check with the airline that is flying you over, sometimes they offer deals with connecting flights. Good Luck

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 06:35 PM
steve

Check Ryanair's website. Be flexible and you might stumble upon a real bargain - I flew for 4 ( yes FOUR) pounds plus tax round trip last March