Reload this Page >

England, Scotland, Wales 2001

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 02:53 PM
Jim

We will be visiting England, Scotland and Wales in September or October 2001. We will be using timesharing so we will be staying in England and Scotland for a full week each. What location of each country would you try to stay in to get a good experience in each, visit Wales for a couple days and not kill yourself trying to do everything? What would be the best time weather wise. We are two married couples in our late fifties.Thanks for any help you may offer.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 03:35 PM
Sheila

It all depends what you like. I'm inclined to suggest you try for either the Kenmore Club or Loch Melfort in Scotland. Both beautiful locations. <BR> <BR>Kenmore is more central

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 05:44 PM
Jim

Thank you, that's a start. We like light hiking & bike riding, Scenery, Mountains, Oceans, Picnics, History, Good places to eat, Relaxing and having a good time

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 02:54 AM
Sheila

Jim <BR> <BR>That's helpful. Obviously I don't have a list of every timeshare in Scotland. My head has in it the following:- <BR>Kinloch Rannoch <BR>Kenmore <BR>Craigendarroch, <BR>Loch Melfort <BR>Edinburgh Apartments <BR>Kilconqhar <BR>Dalfaber <BR> Of these, for location my preferences would be, as I've said Kenmore or Melfort. Both have great scenery and mountains- the Loch Tay ones are a bit more accessible than the West Coast ones. Obvioulsy Melfort is on the coast and Kenmore is on a loch.Both have great places to picnic round about. The history around Kenmore is probably more accessible than that around Melfort- pace Kilmartin Glen which is full of prehistoric stuff. Lastly there are more good places to eat in Perthshire than in Argyll. I suspect the accommodation at Kenmore is higher quality- being more modern. If I were making the choice, I think it would come down to whether I wanted the accessibility to the rest of Central Scotland and the Southern Highlands which Kenmore gives; or the coastal stuff, beaches and access to islands which Melfort gives. <BR> <BR>If you are thinking of somewhere I missed, let me know and I'll adjust the equation

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 04:20 AM
Jim

Sheila, That is very helpful information <BR>Can we e-mail you direct with the options we have available and possibly attach a map of Scotland and England showing where the Condo's are located. Being from the UK your help will be invaluable. Thank you.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 09:53 AM
Sheila

Sure!. But I get much less use south of the Border

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 02:44 PM
Ann

My husband and I will also be timesharing in Scotland, either May 2001 or September 2001. Plan on spending 2-3 days in Edinburgh, then 7 nights at a timeshare property. Having a hard time figuring out which property is the best "home base" for exploring the country. We're interested in hiking, scenic drives, and historical sites. Some of the timeshare choices are Carrbridge, Aviemoe, Ballater, Dunkeld, Kenmore, Fife, Averfoyle, Kinloch Rannoch, Dalmally, Kilmelford, and Alexandria. Any suggestions of the best place to stay for 7 nights? Thanks!

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 03:50 PM
Sheila

Well, you obviously have the same map as Jim..See above comments <BR> <BR>Could I suggest narrowing it down by excluding:- <BR> <BR>Carrbridge, Aviemore, Dalmally, and Alexandria. <BR> <BR>The rest are all good for the things you like. Any other focus? Will you drive?

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 10:55 PM
Tony

Jim.. <BR> <BR>There is a really good timeshare in the Lake District of England, an area that seems perfectly suited to your interests. It is a combination timeshare resort, rental apartments and hotel accomodation (all seperate but in the same grounds). This gives you the option of having a convenient "pub" for eating and drinking. The light (or heavy) hiking is superb and there is an absolute abundance of scenic drives, plus some lake steamer cruises, and lots of great English pubs. <BR>The only problem is that it is'nt all that convenient for Wales - about a 2+ hour drive to the scenic areas of North Wales. <BR>The timeshare is called Langdale, Ref.No.0813 in last years's RCI Directory. There are a few others in the same area, listed as being in Cumbria.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 04:17 AM
Mark

Hi ... <BR> <BR>Try Carnforth .... just south of the Lake District ... near the M6 motorway & about 60 miles north of Wales ... easy to get into than the Langdales (which you will need to book as soon as possible - normally gets VERY full very quickly !!) <BR> <BR>Mark <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 05:47 AM
Candace

You may want to join the timeshare users network at www.tug2.net it offers <BR>reviews and rankings of timeshares by members. It does cost a fee of $15 a year. I looked up Sheila's top four suggestions. The rank the following points out of 10 Kinloch Rannoch 7.83, <BR>Kenmore 8.75, Craigendarroch 9.25, and Melfort 8.5. We are staying at the Craigendarroch in July so I can tell you after I have been there how it was.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Ann

Sheila: <BR>Yes, we will definitely be driving. Our main concern is not really the ameneties at the resort itself, but that it provides good access to the rest of the country. Your previous reply to Jim posed a choice - "accessibility to the rest of Central Scotland and the Southern Highlands which Kenmore gives; or the coastal stuff, beaches and access to islands which Melfort gives"...what if we want to see both? Is it possible with one central base? Thanks for your input! <BR> <BR>Candace: Thanks for the info from the TUG users group, and please let us know how your trip goes next month. <BR> Thanks, <BR>Ann <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Sheila

Ann <BR> <BR>I tried to post an answer to this at work, but it's disappeared. It was pretty incoherent so it's maybe just as well. <BR> <BR>It really is quite hard to get the best of both worlds. The Central Highland places make a day trip to the wet coast do-able and you can reach the central Highlands from Kilmelfort. But the west coast is so jaggy that you wouldn't want to stay there and go back and forth to civilisation. <BR> <BR>Kilconquahr in Fife is near civilisation and the east coast but it's simlpy not so spectatcular. <BR> <BR>Craigendarroch is the fanciest and Kinloch Rannoch the most remote. Alexandria is the only total No-no (unless you like last century's industry). <BR> <BR>For me, I'd pick Kilmelfort, but it's so far west you will have better options and for you therefore I'd choose one of Kenmore, Dunkeld or Moness.

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 08:43 PM
Ann

Thanks Sheila!

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 10:50 AM
Jim

Thanks to everyone for your input. Shiela has been such a fantastic provider of information that we are now putting searches in for the timeshares we hope to use. And, yes we would love to hear about any ratings for timeshare properties or personal highlights in England, Scotland and Wales. Thanks again.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 06:41 PM
Candace

We loved our vacation especially the week at the Craigendarroch in Ballater, <BR>Scotland. The unit and setting was beautiful. My daughter had her first taste of sking on the dry ski slope there. Ballater was very charming and we enjoyed the castles and drives so much we are already planning to return <BR>in August, 2002 in order to be there during the Ballater Highland games. If anyone has any detailed questions feel <BR>free to e-mail me.