England/Ireland - How's my itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to England and Ireland in late June this summer. Thanks to lots of snow days around the house, I've had some time to do some research and lay out a rough plan. I'm hoping to get some feedback from the pros! We are both 29, and enjoy going out at night, but I am also a big history and architecture nerd. We would like to keep a rather affordable budget on this trip - so I'm hoping to find some affordable B&Bs along the way. Flights are not booked - so nothing is completely set in stone as far as # of nights.

Day 1:
Land in Bristol @ 10:10AM
Train to Bath
Explore Bath

Day 2:
Day Trip to Salisbury/Stonehenge by train from Bath

Day 3:
1/2 Day in Bath
Train to London

Day 4, 5, & 6:
London

Day 7:
Fly to Ireland, land in Shannon Airport
Drive to Galway, stopping at Cliffs of Moher

Day 8:
Galway/Aran Islands

Day 9:
Drive to Kenmare (3 ½ hours)
Stop in Adare possibly? Should we stay overnight here?

Day 10:
The Ring of Kerry - the reverse route of the tour buses I hear is best
Overnight in Kenmare

Day 11:
Drive to Dublin, with a stop at Rock of Cashel

Day 12 & 13:
Dublin

Day 14:
Fly out of Dublin @ 12:10PM

My one possible edit to my Ireland plan that I'm already thinking of is going to Dingle. Possibly instead of driving right to Kenmare, drive to Dingle and stay there for a day. Then on the way out of Dingle do the Ring of Kerry before staying over night at Kenmare.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your plan look quite doable -- My one comment is:

>>The Ring of Kerry - the reverse route of the tour buses I hear is best<<

I would do it anti clockwise (The same as the tour buses) ESPECIALLY in summer. You really don't want to spend the whole drive white knuckled with bus after bus coming at you. And you would be on the cliff side with little space to maneuver.

You will be driving slowly in any case -- so being behind buses won't slow you up.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can plan your first step with http://www.traveline.info/ either a bus and train or one bus, takes about 1 to 1:20 hours.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:22 AM

"The Ring of Kerry - the reverse route of the tour buses I hear is best" another Rick Steves fallacy and Killarney or Killorglin would be the best starting point for the Iveragh (Ring of Kerry) peninsula.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:27 AM

>>another Rick Steves fallacy<<

I was thinking <u>exactly</u> the same thing
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:32 AM

I agree with doing the Ring of Kerry against the flow of buses IF you are very used to driving on the left and can judge widths and distances on that side. Then you can go at your own pace rather than being dictated to by the speed of the bus convoy you'll be stuck in. If you're not confident driving on the left, you'll be stressed the whole way.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 08:44 AM

slight edit: >>If you're not confident driving on the left, you'll be <b>extremely</b> stressed the whole way.<<
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:25 AM

I have Never been stuck in "the Bus Convoy"

I have been stuck when someone in a Hertz (No1 in the windows) micro rental backed up 1/4 mile of traffic coming face on to a cattle truck and I have been stuck when another rental car was parked in a passing place whilst the occupants "just went for a walk"

The road has been improved a fair bit over the past 20 years but there are still a couple of narrow points and blind bends.

Take the advice of the Kerry Tourist board over the word of someone who does their research by telephone.
http://www.ringofkerrytourism.com/ri...ions.html#att1

For what its worth the best parts of the peninsula require you to venture a bit of off piste.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice on The Ring. Makes sense to me when you put it in terms of me battling for space with a bus or truck.

Tony2phones - In your opinion, what are the best parts of the peninsula worth venturing to? Also, why do you prefer Killarney/Killorglin over Kenmare?

Also - any opinions on whether or not adding Adare or Dingle to the trip would be worth it?
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 01:02 PM

More London, less Dublin.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 01:13 PM
ESW

If you don't fancy the buses round the Ring of Kerry, think about driving the Ring of Beara instead. roads are narrower and unsuitable for the coach tours. Scenery is as good and don't miss the cable car to Dursey Island off the tip of the Peninsula.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 01:35 PM

Killarney has been a tourist centre since Queen Victoria visited in 1861. It is the best central base for county Kerry and even when busy in the season there is enough space to get away from the crowds.

Kenmare, I like the town but it is favoured by those thinking Killarney is too tourist central hence follows suit. It is a great base for exploring Beara and north west Cork, the best part (according to some) of the ring of Kerry is the N71 between Killarney and Kenmare.

Kilorglin, the only time this little town gets a mention is for the Puck Fair in August but sitting at the joining point of the Dingle and Iveragh peninsula's it is ideally placed to explore either.

Off the main ring you have the cliffs of Kerry, Waterville favoured by Charlie Chaplin (if that's an endorsement) Artisan Chocolate makers some great beaches and coastline not seen from the N71 and if you had time getting onto Valentia Island gateway to the Skellig islands which will be getting a lot of Star wars fans clambering the stacks this season.

There is also the National park, Muckross, the gap of Dunloe and the Black valley etc etc.

I always give Ennis as the split point from Galway to Kerry and openly admit to it being a favourite town of mine, but we do stay in Adare sometimes, its handy if dropping to Cobh to meet a cruise, saves getting up at god o'clock in the morning to get south of Limerick.

An overnight in Ennis/Limerick/Adare means you can drive the Dingle figure of eight between that overnight and your Kerry base of Killarney or Kenmare or ?
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! I think what we've decided to do is go from Galway to Dingle for an overnight there. Then, once we leave Dingle we will drive through the Ring of Kerry and stay the night in Killarney.

Any recommendations on affordable B&Bs in Galway, Dingle, or Killarney? Since we aren't staying there for extended periods of time, looking to spend $100 or less/night.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 09:39 AM

Lots of B&B's in Galway and late June? should be fairly reasonable with prices dropping back down when the power boat crowd leave. Generally Prague House on the Galway/Salthill border. The Herons Rest on the quay by Spanish Arch. Or up on College Rd Petra House is one of a few good options.

Killarney I generally say Sunnybank B&B or The Eviston Hotel, the Fairview is also an option.

Dingle I don't stay these days and prices can be anything from fair to silly. The Lantern Townhouse has been going for years and I generally give there for folk wanting the downstairs disabled room, Archway lodge is opposite the AIB bank, both on Main St so generally better priced than those on the front.