England in the fall

Jun 11th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

England in the fall

Four of us women are planning a trip to London and the surrounding areas in October. Could anyone give us some suggestions as to what areas around London would be good day trips. We can rent a car( do they have automatic or just stick shifts)or take a train. We want to spend a couple of nights away from London.
Also can any of you recommend a decent and reasonably priced hotel in the center of everything ( e.g. trafalgar square,west end,
covent garden )or whateverone anyone thinks is a great area to stay at. We plan on being in England 9 days. Thanks, natjgc
Jun 11th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Several of the sites belonging to the royal family are only open at certain times of the year, two that are in the later summer or fall are the state rooms of Buckingham Palace, and Clarence House (which just started opening to the public last year). If that is the sort of thing you might be interested in you should check out their specifics. Also Althorp (Diana's childhood home & burial place) is only open on limited dates, I don't recall the exact dates but I know it's later in the season.

Other day trips from London that are easy to do by train are Windsor Castle, Hampton Court Palace, Bath and Salisbury/Stonehenge.
Jun 11th, 2004, 02:57 PM

September/ October is my favorite time in England--you should have beautiful weather then. If you like botanical gardens, don't miss Kew Gardens. It's in a suburb of London called Richmond I believe and can be gotten to either by train or car. Warwick Castle can be done in a day (100 miles to the west) or you could spend the night in the area and explore the Cotswolds, too.
Jun 11th, 2004, 03:04 PM

You could visit the Cotswolds that is well-known for it's antique shops and maybe a tour of Oxford and Cambridge Uni.
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Althorpe is open to the public from July 1 (Diana's birthday) to August 31 (the day she passed away). England in the fall is beautiful. It is my favorite season to visit.
Jun 12th, 2004, 04:24 PM
vcl

You can reach Kew by Underground -- the District Line -- and, in season, by boat. Much better than taking a car. Other good day trips include Cambridge -- visit the Fitzwilliam Museum, the American Cemetery, Kings College Chapel, the market, or take the hop-on/hop-off bus; Brighton -- explore the Pavillion, walk along the promenade, stop at the Old Ship for lunch; Bath; Oxford, even Cardiff -- a two-hour rail journey to an interesting city with a nifty castle ruin to explore, a wonderful, restored manor house, and a military museum all in one spot. All of these can be reached by public transportation, much less of a hassle than renting a car, especially if you are going to be based in London.
Jun 14th, 2004, 12:13 AM

Hello
You can reach the beautiful city of York very easily from London by catching a train from Kings Cross. It will take you just over 2 hours. There's so much about York on this site that I won't go into all it's attractions, except to say don't miss visiting York Minster.
In answer to your question about cars, most of them are NOT automatic over here, but car hire firms could normally supply an automatic on request.
I had to smile at the earlier comment about 'expecting nice weather in Sept/Oct' - expect absolutely anything!
Jun 15th, 2004, 07:47 PM

What sorts of things do the 4 of you like to do? How do you like to travel... early start, fast paced, moving all the time... late night parties... late start, leisurely pace, people watching, etc? What are your interests? What do you want to do?

If we have some idea of how you like to travel, we'll all be better equipped to offer specific suggestions that will make a better trip for you.

Travel is so very personal. What I might do and what the guy next to me on the plane might do are hopefully very different indeed. (Unless the guy is my husband....)

In London I like South Kensington... you can search this forum for hotel and South Kensington to find some recommendations. What price range are you looking for?

Original London Walks does some wonderful day excursions...http://london.walks.com/ Even if you decide not to travel with them, you will get a good idea of some easy day-trips.

As for staying away from London, what about staying in Bath and daytripping to the Cotswolds or Stonehenge, etc.

- Sharon