Reload this Page >

England in October

Search

England in October

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Bob

England in October

We're planning a trip to London (four nights) and Scotland (four nights) in October. We expect some rain, but would appreciate any insights from people that have actually been there at that time.

Old May 30th, 2001, 04:14 PM
kitty

We've been to London twice before in October and had excellent weather both times. Only got sprinkled on once during one morning. The temperature was in the 50's and 60's which was just wonderful. Maybe our luck was extraordinary but we had wonderful weather both times.

Old May 30th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Thyra

I've been to London also twice in October, and also, I don't know if we were just lucky or what but the weather was the same both times.. sunny but nippy! Breezy but you would need a jacket.. (not an arctic parka for example) but I ended up wearing my leather jacket, long slacks and a light knit sweater. We believe it or not managed to not see any rain, however you would do wise to bring rain gear.

Old May 30th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Mel

Been to London several times in late September/early October. It's my favorite time to go. I can only remember one day of rain (because it was hard, cold rain!) in all those adventures. It's usually been very nice--high 60's maybe, but sometimes windy and, for some reason, the late afternoons seemed to get chilly, but the evenings were warm. Am I crazy? A wool blazer has always served me well during this time of year. Have a great trip!

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Jane

As someone who was born in England and lived half her life there - The weather is unpredictable!!! Always a chance of rain in the British Isles. That's why we talk about the weather so much. We often go back in November and March and are usually quite lucky with the weather. The thing I notice most is the wind - It can be quite chilling! I would definately take scarf and gloves, you'll be glad you did. Enjoy the trip.

Old May 31st, 2001, 12:20 AM
sylvia

My son and daughter live in London and I always go in October for my London "fix". It can sometimes be beautiful at that time of year (St. Martin's little Summer) and is a good time to go. Most of the tourists have gone and the Christmas shopping rush has not started. I'd say layers, shirts and skirt or trousers, a light jumper (sweater US) and a light wool jacket.

Old May 31st, 2001, 12:54 AM
JOdy

We've gone to London or other parts of the UK in Oct. more times than I can recall and it is usually very pleasant, of course we live in Florida and appreciate cooler weather. It does rain a lot but I find it to be a misty rain not steady downpours. Sometimes its not even worthraising your umbrella if you are wearing a rainncoat and hat. Layering is a great idea as I find the stores and museums are kept way too hot! The first place I look for is the coat checkroom. <BR>The weather has been so weird in UK the past few years be prepared for anything but don't let it slow you down.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 08:18 AM
JOdy

topping for Bob

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 08:45 AM
Bob

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate the information. We're still waiting to find out when our daughter has a break in school in Spain and then we can plan the trip. Fodors has been a great resource for us in figuring out the itinerary. Thanks again!