Search

england...cambridge vs. oxford

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:46 AM
jfm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
england...cambridge vs. oxford

have some layover time returning from germany and thinking to visit either cambridge univ. or oxford univ.

interested in your comments whether one is more interesting a day visit than the other, any pros / cons you may think of, etc.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM
ron

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34592682
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34589203
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM

The concensus, all things being equal, is - as the links above show - that Cambridge wins.

But for you, all things might not be equal. Oxford is 40 mins by direct bus from Heathrow and a painless train journey from Gatwick.

Cambridge is a pain to get to from any airport but Stansted.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM

and by the number of heathrow -> oxford buses you see on the M40, the bus service is very frequent.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:01 PM

have been to both college towns. both are very impressive. you can feel the history, serenity and beauty of both come over you!! however, in my opinion Cambridge edges out oxford. If you go to cambridge by BritRail you might start with a red bus tour (stops just outside the station) to get an overview of the town & 31 colleges!! you must see the chapel of King Henry the ?? it's got to be one of the most magnificent, awe-inspiring chapels i've seen in england so far. then walk to the back of the grounds to see the "Mathematical Bridge" & the Cam River that give the town its name. The grounds of Kings & Queens colleges are so beautiful, I had to keep reminding my self that I was on a college campus. In my next life I hope to go to college in cambridge!!! have fun and don't be put off by the somewhat aggressive, hawkers trying to get you to buy a boat ride on the river. they're everywhere!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Just returned from England and on this trip I went to Oxford, two years ago I visited Cambridge and in my opinion OXFORD is more interesting and awe inspiring. I too went to Cambridge the first time because from what I had read it seemed nicer. Things I read made Oxford sound larger, more traffic filled, just less appealing - but now having been to both I feel the opposite. Both are similiar and both have beautiful architecture, but Oxford actually feels smaller (the old town center where most of the colleges are) and more historic. Notice I say MORE historic, obviously Cambridge also reeks of history. I just liked Oxford better.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:00 PM

I prefer Oxford. When I visited Cambridge, yes, I liked the coach tour, but how do you get down to the river? I could never figure that out. In Oxford, you can walk on either side of the river, and their central area is quite compact. Also, two coach services to the town make it very easy to get to.