Search

End of October Trip to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End of October Trip to Italy

Hello,

Both my husband and i have been slammed at work. No vacation all summer. We have planned to go to Italy the last week in October but so far I have done NO planning. I feel a little overwhelmed. I know we want to start in Rome, maybe Florence and there is a hotel I am dying to try call La Bandita, in Tuscany I think. We want to go for 8 nights we have a limited travel budget but will splurge on a few key things. We have a friend who recommended a great guide in Rome who can get some sort of advance tickets to the vatican where you can skip lines which sounds totally worth it.

We love wine and food, good shopping and are not looking to rush around too much.

I really appreciate any thoughts. Also, where should I be looking for the best airfares? We are most likely leaving from Dulles.

Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Try kayak.com for airfares.
With only 8 days I would stick to 2 destinations--Rome and Tuscany. Late October can be chilly in Tuscany--much like the hills of VA.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:38 AM

http://www.la-bandita.com/

Excellent choice!

Happy Planning!

SV
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can book your own guided tours directly with the Vatican that will bypass the lines for 30€.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...zi_Visite.html

If you just want to book an entrance ticket to bypass the lines without a tour, you do that on the Vatican website also.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Hi, I'm italian, living in Italy.
Having just 8 days I think that Rome and Florence are ok as destinations, even if there is Siena, in Tuscany, which is in my opinion the best town in Italy. You would have to rent a car to get there, but the trip along the hills is worth it.

In the end of October the weather in Rome can be great, even warm, while in Tuscany on the hills it's fresher.

I'll go and check the hotel you mentioned.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Oh, great, La bandita is really close to Siena!!! :

http://www.locandalabandita.it/

So you could get my suggestion and include Siena in your trip. You will tase the best food, enjoy great works of art without the crowds (Simone Martini's frescos are unbelievable), and the best people in Italy (people from Siena are so kind! - i do not live there)
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Additional information:

Rome is the most convenient place to land form abroad, then you could go to Florence, quite near and comfortable with eurostar trains: it's 1.40 hours for 40 Euros one way per person.

You can book here: http://www.trenitalia.com, the ticketless option is great because you get your reseverd seat and an email with the confirmation. You print the email and that is your ticket.

In Florence you can shop, visit museums or just go around enjoying architecture and history, just as in rome.

To go to Siena you could rent a car: you could enjoy the countryside and find a lot of great graveyards on the way.

Then back to Rome by train.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so so much for your replies! Very helpful. So here is a possible itinerary:

Rome 2 nights
(Train to Florence)
Florence 2 nights
(Rent Car)
Siena/la bandita 3 nights
(Train to Rome)
Rome 1 nights

Do you think I should use La Bandita as a home base during siena visit or is it to far away. I plan to try to take a cooking class a Bandita if the local chef will offer one so one day will be staying close to there and then the others we would explore.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM

I would start in Florence on day one--only 1:38 further and saves two stays in Rome. La Bandita is some distance from Siena but in a lovely location in south Tuscany.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Just to clarify. This was the La Bandita I was talking about, I am not sure how or if this is close to siena at all.

http://www.la-bandita.com/index.php?id=home

the other one suggested looks beautiful also!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Hi!

La Bandita you ment is in Pienza (SI) which is an incredibly nice little village.

It's south of Siena, wich is right on the way from Firenze to Pienza (your Bandita)

Speaking in terms of driving hours and km :

From Firenze to Siena: 75 km (1mile = 1,6 km more or less), 1 hour and 15 minutes

From Siena to Pienza: 56 km, 1 hour and 10 minutes

So you could visit Siena on the way to Pienza, and it would be great!!! when you are in siena, try "cantucci", some sort of almond bisquits very tipical, and visit Piazza del Campo and Smimone Martini frescos. You can walk in the medieval streets, and also do some shopping.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with Bob. I would train to Florence upon arrival and leave Rome until the end of the trip.

Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 3 nights
Rome 3 nights

or

Tuscany 5 nights (train to Orvieto or Chiusi and pick up car - daytrip to Florence)
Rome 3 nights
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I think I am going to go with Kybourbons suggestion. I bit the bullet and bought our flights today (ouch - I but I know the direct flight will be worth it).

We leave 6PM on October 22nd - arrive in Rome 8:50 AM on 10/23
-Train to Florence 2 nights and staying at Hotel Casci
-Rent car (where?) and drive to Pienza - La Bandita. Trying to decide whether to stay here 3 or 4 nights. The price is steep but the reviews on trip advisor are amazing and it looks like day trips to Siena, wineries, from here are easy.
-Back to Rome for 2 or 3 nights depending on Tuscany stay. Not sure whether we are driving, training or other at this point. I used points for the Marriott Rome Central Park Hotel to take the bite out the cost of the airfare and Bandita.

Back home in time to hopefully see my little one in her final hours of Halloween!

Comments/suggestions on transportation options welcome!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Suggest you see if the Grand Flora is available with points as the Marriott Central Park is not central. With such a short visit, IMO it is really important to stay in the historical center of Rome. This hotel is outside the city and you have to take a shuttle bus, not a good choice IMO.

venere.com says "The property's location, in a peaceful and verdant area far from the chaos and traffic of Rome's city-centre, but well connected by public transport, is the perfect address for leisure and business stay."

Or opt for a cheaper hotel in the center but stay somewhere where you have easy access by foot to the delights of the city.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 04:00 AM

I just got a flight to Naples on Eurofly that was half the cost of any major airlines. I know they also have flights from NY to Rome. You may want to check them out at Eurofly.com Good luck!
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 08:19 PM

We met the owners of La Bandita at a restaurant in Pienza last year and they seemed lovely. There are two small towns near Pienza that you should visit, Montepulciano, a steep hill town, and Montalcino. Both are known for their wines. The pecorino cheese is also fabulous. See if you can't stop by a little cheese factory or farm and pick some up. There are also stores in town that sell the cheeses from fresh to very aged (we still like the fresh). Staying in Pienza is a good idea because Siena is larger and difficult with traffic and parking. Also you will be in two large towns, Rome and Florence, so this will be quite a change. Your are also in that area during truffle season and don't miss out on that. We can't stay away and will be there for our sixth time this fall.