Emperador Hotel in Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed here recently. Checking threads there doesn't seem to be a recent review. Thanks so much.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:29 PM

jparis,
Keep your reservation at the Crowne Plaza; it's much better than the Emperador, I think.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Maribel:
Thanks for your input (and your incredible memory)!! I am busy playing with the "bancotel points" as I like to call them. I am thinking of adding a night in Seville, and taking one away from Madrid, because I have promised my son that we will see a soccer game on this trip, and the Sunday that we are in Seville, there is actually a soccer game. So, now that Sunday is gone, I wanted to add Monday. However, is everything closed in Seville on Monday? Am I better off keeping to my schedule of leaving for Granada on a Monday? thanks so much, yet again!!
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:05 PM

hi jparis,
I'm following your bancotel saga with great interest!
No, *everything* in Seville isn't closed on Monday, but the Alcázar and the Museo de Bellas Artes are. But you can go to the Alcázar on Sun. morning at 9:30.
Here's what's open:

Cathedral & Giralda tower
La Real Maestranza bullring (guided tour)
Casa de Pilatos (incredible tiles!)
Hospital de la Caridad (macabre paintings by Valdés Leal)
Basílica de la Macarena to see the statue of the Virgen de la Macarena
and of course you can always take a boat ride down the Gualalquivir (you don't see much of interest; it may be better at night), a horse drawn carriage, a stroll in María Luisa park, get lost in the wonderfully atmospheric Barrio de Santa Cruz, buy ceramics and tiles in one of the shops in and around Calle Alfareros in Triana, take in a flamenco show at Los Gallos, El Arenal or Casa de la Memoria, tapas sampling everywhere and shopping at El Corte Inglés or the pedestrian Calle Sierpes or the parallel Calle Tetuán!

Don't know how old your son is-if he's younger, there's always the amusement park, La Isla Mágica, located on La Cartuja island where the Expo 92 was held.

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Maribel:
Thanks for the list. I have been communicating with people on madridman website who have been very helpful with soccer schedules. (My son will be 16). It looks like we can either catch one in Madrid on our last day or one in Seville on Sunday. Since my bancotel total is now 24, I am going to leave well enough alone. Even paying an extra 50 euros (maybe I can sell the one coupon)will still give me better rates than going to the hotel myself.