Emilia-Romagna

Old May 21st, 2022, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emilia-Romagna

We plan to spend two weeks this Fall exploring Ravenna, Bologna, Padua and Verona. We'd like to find a place to make our base for exploring Ravenna and Bologna, somewhere in between the two, and then do the same thing as we explore Verona and Padua. Doe this make sense and, if so, does anyone have recommendations? Thank you.
Old May 21st, 2022, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bologna is very good as a train centre for all of those places.

If I was doing this by a bicycle I would have to think a bit more

If I was doing it by car I would have to think a bit more

How do you intend to do this?
Old May 22nd, 2022, 12:19 AM

seat61 offers great advice on European trains
trenitalia offers timetables for Italy (getting the name of the station correct is vital)
rome2rio provides an overview of alternatives (click through to see the real data and check the AI hasn't mucked up)
Old May 22nd, 2022, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
Bologna is very good as a train centre for all of those places.

If I was doing this by a bicycle I would have to think a bit more

If I was doing it by car I would have to think a bit more

How do you intend to do this?
We plan to have a car while in Italy. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 04:41 AM

do you understand the concept of ZTL https://www.evz.de/en/travelling-mot...-in-italy.html don't turn away quickly from the train system in this part of Italy, it is especially dense and trains go right to the centre of towns, which may be an issue for cars due to the ZTL.

For Bologna and Ravenna there are two obvious towns that sit half way between the two. I know Argenta and cannot recommend it. I don't know Imola but it looks worth a second look. I'd also consider staying in this sort of place https://www.agriturismo.it (click the Union Jack to get English) often really friendly but check you share a common language (the data is normally good on this site). Depending how late into September you are staying here you may want a pool.

Verona and Padova it depends Montagnana is pretty impressive sort of place for a few days. I like Soave but I'd not recommend it. Monselice is a bit special but probably not. Lonigo possibly.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 04:39 AM

Ferrara is really nice. So is Mantua (south of Verona toward Bologna). If you split up your stay between the two, you have the advantage of these two remarkable cities in addition to Ravenna/Padua/Bologna/Verona (and you can throw in a Parma visit).
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. That is very helpful.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'm getting mixed messages on Soave and Monselice and will read about them. Grazie tante.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly for the first part of your trip I would very seriously consider staying in Bologna. There is a vast range of things to do there and it makes an ideal base for exploring by train - you would not need a car.

For the second part, Vicenza would make a good base - it is the home of Palladio so there is plenty to see, and it's easy to get to Verona, Padova and even Venice for day trips again on the train. You can also do trips on the Brenta canal to see more of the villas that Palladio built along the waterside. Hiring a car and guide/driver for the odd day that you wanted a car might be cheaper and easier than hiring a car for your whole trip.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Your suggestions are very helpful.