email access in Norway

Jun 11th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

email access in Norway

Has anyone heard of internet cafes in Norway? We are wondering if we can access our email without bringing our laptop. Anyone have experience/advice? Thanks much.
Jun 11th, 2004, 08:58 AM

In the major cities - Oslo and Bergen, at least - you'll have no problem finding one. If I remember correctly, rates are around 24-25 Nkr/15 mins. Not cheap, but nothing is in Norway! About two blocks away from the Bergen fishmarket - heading Northeast - there are about three or four internet cafes all competing with each other up the road from a McDonald's. With regards to some of the smaller coastal towns, I remember seeing one or two in Arendal, and maybe one in Risor (we were looking for one so we could make hotel reservations over the web in Voss). I can't guarantee you'll find them in communities smaller than Arendal, though. Have a wonderful time, and have lots of gjetost for me!
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:10 AM

At least Oslo has several internetcafees. But the fact is that Norway actually has one of the highest percentage of users using the Internet (relative to population obviously) in the world. So I'm quite sure you will be able to check your mail somewhere. Don't forget that many hotels offer computer access in their lobby that you can use either free or for a fee. But if you can tell us a bit more specific where you are going I can always dig up more specific info.

Sindre
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM

You can access the Internet for a fee in the common room at the Anker Hostel. Plus, you can access the Internet in an Internet cafe at the Oslo Central Station on the top level.
Jun 11th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Just in case you're going to the Lofotens, we were able to access the internet at the public library in Svolvaer. This is one of the travel memories that we get a little kick out of -- that we sent email from the Arctic Circle!

Jun 18th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Close to all public libraries have internett acess for free, usually a bit of waiting time though, and not the most up to date computers, but still. Internet cafes aren't that widespread, as most people have their own home computer - they do exist in the major cities though. Some tourist infos, larger hotels and youth hostels will provide computer access.

Search this Thread