Search

Electricity

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Rick

Electricity

My family and I will be traveling to Moscow and St. Pete this August. Does anybody know anything about the electricity we might find. I heard it is DC, not AC. Any related info would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Ed

220V and 50Hz ... AC, according to my sources. DC is a bit difficult to distribute over much distance. which is the reason that AC is in use almost everywhere. India may still have some DC. And goodness, who what may still be around in any given part of the world. <BR> <BR>Good source for such info? <BR>http://www.kropla.com/ <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Dave

Being from California, I have to ask, "What is electricity?" I remember my parents talking about the stuff. It came out of a wall or something. Anyway, when I was in the Soviet U. it was the opposite of the US, but so was everything else.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:26 PM
clairobscur

Electicity is essentially electrons vibrating (AC) or moving along the wire (DC)

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Rich

<BR> <BR>I lived in Moscow for three years. The current is 220v at 50hz AC. The plugs are the same two prong ones you find all over Europe (but not the U.K.), although you will likely find both the large and small prongs (sometimes in the same room). Adapters for the U.S. style plug are available on the street for about a quarter. <BR> <BR>The telephones are usually hardwired but in most hotels you will find the U.S. style connection. Phoneline voltage is irratic but usually higher than in the U.S. so a phone line tester/surge protector is handy to protect your modem. I used one for three years with no problem, but know that some fried theirs while visiting. <BR> <BR>Both Moscow and St Pete are beautiful in August. It will occasionally get hot, but for the most part is like spring elsewhere in Europe. <BR> <BR>Hope this is helpful . . Rich

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Rich

<BR> <BR>The http://www.kropla.com/ website is a good one . .