electrical question about extension cord

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably a really dumb question and I am probably have pre-trip jitters but I can't figure it out. Please be kind!

I am traveling for the first time with a CPAP machine and reading the posts about that here I've learned that I should also bring an extension cord. I have the adapter and my machine is dual voltage. Do I need to worry if the extension can handle the voltage? or are they just the conduit and I only need to worry about the machine being dual voltage?

I'm also bringing a cell phone and charger and the charger is dual voltage so I think I'm ok with that because I am sure that I can plug it right into the outlet (with an adapter of course).

I leave for Paris and Brugge tomorrow! And now I'm going through the last minute "what am I forgetting to do" jitters.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:06 AM

You'll be fine. The higher European voltage means that your extension cord only has to handle half the current it does in the U.S.

(Nerdy note: appliances draw a specific <i>power</i>, which is the product of <i>voltage</i> and <i>current</i>. If the voltage is reduced, the current goes up; if the voltage is increased, it goes down. This is why electricity is transmitted cross-country at enormous voltages - to minimize the current.)
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:18 AM

I have used a CPAP for years and bought a French extension cord (&quot;rallonge&quot;, according to my dictionary) in a hardware store in France. I don't think US extension cords will reliably handle 220 current, even though the CPAP handles it automatically.

The adapter the you have for your US CPAP cord fits right into the female end of the French extension cord and the male end of the extension cord plugs right into the wall socket.

Ultimately, I replaced the adapter that I bought in the US with one I bought in the computer department of an FNAC electronics store (sort of French Best Buy) which is better made and has slots and plugs that fit better.

I have been using my CPAP abroad since about 1995 and have never had any trouble except in an ultramodern hotel in Italy where everything was hard wired into the wall and there were NO electric sockets anywhere!

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:35 AM

The only rating that is of concern here is the voltage at which the cord's insulation breaks down, allowing current to flow between the conductors.

A 110V cord will work safely on 220V. It's only when you get into really high voltages that breakdown voltage begins to matter.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will check that concern off my list. Good thought about purchasing the extension cord, I had considered that as an alternative.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Ack -have they always hand inspected CPAP machines? I traveled a few weeks ago with it and got pulled aside at security so it could be inspected. They told me to expect that I will have expect it. I don't recall that happening last year and I was wondering if it is new since the recent increase in airport security.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:45 AM
GBC

I too have traveled in Europe with a CPAP for a little over ten years. I use an adapter, dual voltage machine, and a heavy duty (but ordinary voltage) American extension cord. I also have a extra long air hose which is actually most useful because I can then locate the machine almost anywhere. As you have noted, a second adapter works for the camera battery charger or a cell phone. The machine runs just a little warmer on 220V but otherwise no problems. You will find that the CPAP has a special advantage when traveling - the hum it makes masks out the noise from surrounding rooms or outside.

Sometimes they hand check the machine and sometimes not. I usually have a thick notebook with all our travel tickets, resevation copies, itineraries, etc. inserted into the front pocket of the carryon which holds the CPAP and our meds. I have noted that the notebook increases the chances of a hand search - I think that the thickness of all that paper causes their xray photo to be blurry and they want to be sure of what is in there. It never takes more than a minute or two and I usually feel good that they are being careful.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:03 AM

CPAP and searches: mine has been hand searched on almost every US flight in the last year. They wipe it with one of those strips that then goes into a machine to detect explosives. It doesn't take very long. I honestly don't remember whether they did it last fall in Europe, but I am going to Germany, Portugal, and Spain this fall, so I suppose I will find out!

Oh, and thanks for corrections on the issue of voltage and amperage. Never could keep that straight! I always just use a 14 wire where a 22 would probably do!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Just one thing for consideration. You have to use double shielded cables (rated for 230V). It's highly illegal to use cables with only one layer of insulation. Just in case you worry about insurance.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
ira

Hi cls,

Make sure that your extension cord has a UL label certifying it for use at 200V.

It's not just the voltage, the heat generated in the cord and the possibility of an internal short are important.

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM

The reason that electricity is carried cross-country at high voltage is to minimize the current, which in turn minimizes the loss of power by heating. People who know about electricity call this heating &quot;I²R&quot; loss, because it is mathematically equal to the resistance of the conductor (R) times the square of the current (I).

In other words, the danger of a cord overheating is reduced substantially by running half the current through it (as in Europe).
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Good to know about the insulation of the cord. I'll check the label tonight. Thanks for all of the help!