Elderhostel?

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Jeanie

Elderhostel?

My parents are interested in maybe staying in an Elderhostel either in the US or Europe. Does anyone have any experience with Elderhostel?

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 07:13 PM
wish i wuz

I can give you a second hand account: I have a friend whose parents are retirees, and they are CONSTANTLY on the go, driving all over north america, from the Southwestern US to Nova Scotia, to many different elderhostel locations. They LOVE IT, and can afford to go so often because the prices are so reasonable.

Also, I went to the University of Florida for my undergraduate education. During the summer semester, when one of the dormitories was empty, the Elderhostel folks took it over! This particular program at UF ( my undersanding is that each elderhostel location has its own unique itinerary ) specialized in academics, with everyone attending lectures at the university, and mixing in with the full time students. This was especially funny to me when I was a kid, because at that time UF had been voted the biggest partying school in the US! So there I was, a 19 year old not-so-serious student, mingling with some EXTREMELY HIP over-50 students. I can't wait to turn 50 so that I can participate!!!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 07:47 PM
John

Hi, Jeanie,
My mother in law is an Eldehostel devotee - been all sorts of wonderful places (E. Europe, Latin America...) and swears by it. What strikes me about her stories is that the Elderhostel approach really capitalizes on the knowledge and energy of the participants, and seems to expect it of them - what a welcome change from treating older tourists like children.
They also seem to have pretty cool destinations, programs, and accommodations, and the price is usually very attractive. Tell your folks to give it a try.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 10:55 PM
Martha B

My understanding, also second-hand (from my parents) is that an Elderhostel isn't a place you stay, like a youth hostel, but an organized tour. My parents used Elderhostel for trips to Britain and Costa Rica. From what they said, the trips sound like they have excellent guides, and some real intellectual content. Many of the participants are in their sixties. My parents were in their early eighties when they went to Costa Rica, and were the oldest people on the tour.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 06:06 AM
Jay Frank

Jeanie:

I, also, have no direct experience, but I thought their website was pretty interesting reading. You might wish to check out:

http://www.elderhostel.org

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 09:33 PM
Jeanie

Thanks a lot for the help - I am sure my parents will appreciate it. It sounds really great. I guess I was thinking youth hostel for adults (snooze...) but it sounds like so much more. I know my mom has been receiving info in the mail, but she will be really happy to hear all the positive feedback!

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 05:56 AM
Bly

In a similar vein - Does anyone know of similar programs for those who are over the youth hostel gig but not old enough for Elderhostel. I would love to take classes 2-3 weeks (art, architecture, history, etc) in a European setting, but geared toward English speakers. (Yes, I do try to learn the language - but 8 hrs catching every third word?!) Any ideas?