El Nobo, Gaucin - anyone know of it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will tour Madrid, Barcelona and Seville and then meet friends for a week in Andalusia. We're considering El Nobo in Gaucin for our week's stay. We would do day trips in the area for the week and soak up the flavor of the Andalucia countryside.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this and does anyone have any info on this place?
Thank you.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:24 AM

xbashful,
I was going to stay there for a week last spring, as it came so well recommended to me by Fodorite friends.
Perhaps the Fodor friend who stayed there with her husband will see this and comment on her stay. Alas, I had to cancel that week, as I needed to shorten my planned month in Andalucía at the last minute.
It has a gorgeous setting, the town is very, very photogenic, and I do plan to do a week there some day. I was told that the gentleman owner,Tuffy, can be quite a trip...(don't know exactly in what way). Have you read the review on
www.i-escape.com?

I also considered El Cortijo Puerto del Negro, which is represented by Inns of Spain and a friend of mine who owns a villa rental co. has it on her list. But it's more expensive.
A British couple I met at Casa 7 in Seville had stayed there and loved it, even more than they loved El Molino del Santo in Benaoján.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Maribel. Would this be a good location for visiting the pueblo blancos of the area? Keep us busy for the week? Will it be onerous travelling back there every evening? They only rent Sat. to Sat. and our flight leaves Malaga very early on Sat. am. Would you recommend we travel from there to the airport or forego our last night there and get a hotel closer to the airport?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:46 AM

bashful,
There are plentiful country lodgings in the Serranía de Ronda. It's hard to choose.
It really depends on the style you most enjoy and your budget.
The Puerta de la Villa in the center of Grazalema also rents apartments, but Gaucin is nearer to the coast with easier access.

I can find plenty in the Serrania and environs to keep me busy for a week-hiking, bird watching, Roman ruins, prehistoric caves (La Pileta), fine dining, drives along the coast.

We didn't find the drive from Gaucín down to the coast onerous (nor do we find all that onerous the Ronda-San Pedro drive, just non-stop curves), but I certainly, absolutely would forgo your Sat. night and stay much closer to the Málaga airport if you have an early a.m. flight. Perhaps the Parador de Golf, very near the airport.