Reload this Page >

EEEK! A MOUSETRAP!

Search

EEEK! A MOUSETRAP!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 06:53 AM
S. C.

EEEK! A MOUSETRAP!

I know it's been running for umpteen years, but does anyone know the name of the theater <BR>in London where THE MOUSTRAP plays? Is said theater near Covent Garden? <BR> <BR>Have you seen it? A review, please.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 01:33 PM
Sheila

St Martins <BR> <BR>See <BR> <BR>http://www.londonnet.co.uk/ln/out/en...mousetrap.html

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 09:45 AM
Shanna

Greetings. Mousetrap was on my list to do in London for years and two years ago I finally went. It was in a small theater, newly renovated and very authentic - velvet everywhere. I went to a matinee - wished I'd gone at night in a long dress. The play itself is cute, but the mystery easily discerned by any mystery fan. It was written for a less sophisticated, less jaded, more easily delighted audience. We're not allowed to reveal the ending, of course, but for me it was great fun, with an intermission and cocktails, friendly crowd. I'll see if I have the ticket stub at home, but any concierge can tell you where it is playing or one of the "what's happening" magazines will list it.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Cindy

Just saw Mousetrap this fall. The tickets were free, and worth every penny. Not very funny, not very interesting, and I had trouble staying awake. Predictable ending on the night I went. <BR> <BR>Unless you get tickets as part of a tour, you can probably get better value for your theatre dollar. I liked lots of other plays I have seen (Damn Yankees, Les Miserables, Fences, etc.), but just didn't enjoy Mousetrap. Sorry I can't be more positive.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Bob Brown

The Mousetrap has been running for 48 years, at St. Martins. I think the other posters must be somewhat jaded. <BR>I enjoyed it. The acting was superb. As my son said, it was like watching big screen TV in 3-D. He and my wife had read the book, but they did not tell me how it ended. So I enjoyed the surprise <BR>(to me) ending. Even though my son and wife knew what was coming, they enjoyed it. I think they focused more on the way the various actors presented the characters because they both knew the plot well. <BR>There was one semi funny event that took place as we were entering. The man (American) ahead of us going through the door presented a ticket for the correct date, but one that said First Performance on the ticket, which in American means that it was a matinee. The usher stopped the fellow and told him that the ticket was for a performance that had already taken place. The man said he thought First Performance meant the first performance of the play. The usher, a proper British type, upped his nose a few degrees and said "Sir, The Mousetrap has been running for xx years" (I don't recall how many xx was, but it was about my wife's age!!) The theater manager let the fellow in because it was not a sell out, which I thought was a generous gesture. My son got a real charge out of it. Something like "Dumb nerd" or whatever teeagers of a few years ago would say. <BR>

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 12:43 PM
S. C. DIXON

Thank you, Bob, thank you all. Yeah, I wouldn't be planning on seeing MOUSTRAP purely for the entertainment value but at least as much as it's become a bit of an institution, isn't it? Never was a big mystery or Agatha fan in the first place, but I've been to London several times and periodically someone will ask if I've seen Mousetrap. "Duh, no..." <BR>I think it's kinda like champagne, you don't have to really love it in order to enjoy a glass come New Year's Eve. Thanks again, everyone.

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Bob

The one lady that was negative about MOUSETRAP proves why you never pay that much attention to some critics. They announced last week that TRAP had just passed its 20,000th performance. Now tell me....if it is that bad...would it make the 20,000 shows? We saw it in 1990 and I enjoyed it. Go see it. It sure beats some of the other junk out there that will play a few months and then vanish forever.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Cindy

Bob writes: <BR> <BR>"The one lady that was negative about MOUSETRAP proves why you never pay that much attention to some critics." <BR> <BR>Bob, everyone is entitled to their opinion here, and there is no reason to be so dismissive of an opinion simply because it differs from yours. <BR> <BR>S.C., if you go, I hope you have a nice time.