Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh - York - London - How many days in each?

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 10.5 days on the ground in Britain. I will be spending that time in the following three locations: Edinburgh, York, London. How do you think I should allocate my time across the three locations?

Note - Once day in London will probably involve a day trip to Cambridge.

Thanks,
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:22 AM

3-1-6.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Agree.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
2 or 3; .75 or 1; the rest in London.

The york bit would be either an early train to York and then a late evening train the same day into London or an over night in York.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM

We took a morning train to York from London. Arrived just after lunchtime. We did some walking around that afternoon/evening, then walked around the next morning and took a train back to London the following afternoon. I felt like that was plenty of time to see the city of York.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM

4-1-5

Do a day trip or two from Edinburgh - like to Stirling (think Brave Heart) or St Andrews (think golf but also a sweet seaside city with a famous university where Prince William went to school. Easy day trips - otherwise I'd just give two full days for Edinburgh itself.

Yes York can be a few-hour stop between London and Scotland but as always better to spend the night to get the full flavor of the city - take the guided Ghost Walks of York at night!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM

- We took a morning train to York from London. Arrived just after lunchtime. We did some walking around that afternoon/evening, then walked around the next morning and took a train back to London the following afternoon. I felt like that was plenty of time to see the city of York.-

Sorry I meant that we took a train back after walking around the next morning... So we were there for part of a Tuesday and part of a Wednesday, then back to London.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:56 PM

There's enough to see/do in York for at least a couple of days. It's a lovely city to stroll through but can't imagine missing the chance of experiencing some of its major attractions. However, as others have said, a full day will give you enough time to visit several places.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 01:01 PM

It is definitely worth the stop. Beautiful little town, and the people there were really great.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 04:39 PM

Yeh we do not need such rude remarks IMO here for someone who innocently asks a very common question who has found a source he/she thought would be full of folks who could from their own personal experiences advise her/him how to spend their precious time.

And I think he/she has gotten great inputs from several folk who have been to those cities many times probably - where can you get such expert advice in guidebooks?

Do your own research entails many things and I think the OP coming to Fodors full of experts on these cities is exactly what you suggest? Right?

I find your remarks totally out of order and hope the OP will continue to ask questions without being called lazy or such.

Totally totally rude IMO and something that hurts Fodors overall as these types of uncalled for remarks turns folks off.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 04:45 PM

If a person can't come to this site for an opinion, then the Forum becomes pretty useless.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

As always - great input from the Foderite posters (just ignoring the one naysayer).

In fact, I will take this opportunity to underline what a wonderful and positive resource the Fodor's community is for those of us that want to explore the world around us. Travelling across the globe with my family is something I will only be able to make happen a limited number of times in my life, so there is some anxiety about making sure I make the most of it. The Fodor's community has helped me get over these anxieties and expose my kids to a wonderful diversity of people and places. Thank you.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 06:51 AM

I made several decisions on my trip to England by asking such a question. Have even become friends with one of the locals in the area I was asking about through Fodors. I hope you and your family have a fantastic time when you go!!