Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh to London - Which route to drive and where to stop overnight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've abandoned the train idea and have booked a car for the 3 weeks we're in the UK. Itinerary so far is London, Leeds (with many day trips to the surrounding areas), Edinburgh and then drive back to London. Clearly I do not want to do the Edinburgh to London trip in a day, but would prefer to break up the trip with a stop on the way back. Which way would you drive back and where would you stop for the night?

We could just retrace our steps and head back towards Leeds (and stay with family), or go West past Cumbria and stay in a village not too far from the Highway. I have no idea how much time either leg of the journey will be or what would be the most worthwhile.

We are also attracted to stylish B&Bs and hotels, but would prefer not to spend more than 110GBP for the night. Alternately, a beautiful town with sights nearby would compensate for a lousy room.

We leave in 3 weeks -- Help!

Many thanks.

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Gee, there are so many choices. You could overnight in the Lake District -- it's about a 3-1/2 hr drive through some fabulous countryside.

We stayed at Bowness on Windermere in May at the Best Western Burn How Garden Hotel. It was a lovely property just a couple of minutes walk to Lake Winderemere, the shops and restaurants. It should be well within your budget. We had a very comfortable room, the staff were friendly and they had a lovely cook to order breakfast.

The drive to London is then about 5 hrs or so depending if you are going into the city.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:59 PM

I loved York when I was there this spring, and it is almost exacalty halfway between Edinburgh & London (we took the train). There is lots to see and do in the area - starting with the famous and impressive York Minster which you could spend most of a day visiting in itself. There are loads of hotels & B & B's in and around York - Smoothhound is a good place to start your research. We stayed at a pub called the White Horse, just outside the city wall, walked to everything in York and it was the most charming place we've ever stayed at with the most comfortable beds & pillows awas from home. £60 for a twin room in April (Prices may be seasonal.) If you go there give the landlord's dog, Robbie, a pat for us - he was such a sweet thing! (The dog that is, although the landlord was a very nice person also.)
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Visit York, Sherwood Forest and Oxford. York is an ancient wall city with quaint streets, shops and grand architecture. Sherwood Forest, home to the Robin Hood legends, is a picturesque national park. Oxford, of course, in home to the university that bears its name. Thought not enroute between Edinburgh and London, if you ahve time you should make it to Bath. In my mind, this is one of England treasures.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 02:53 PM

The 3 most scenic areas of England, would have to be - The Lakes District, Yorkshire Dales, and North York Moors. The 3 areas straddle the northern part of England from one coast to the other coast.
My favourite B&B is "Riverside Farm" in the village of Sinnington, not far from Pickering in the North York Moors. The owners Mr & MRs Baldwin, are such lovely people, and they give excellent advice on "Fun drives" (Mr BAldwin's idea of steep, narrow mountain roads). The upstairs rooms look out over a babbling brook running beside the house, and for dinner, you walk out the back door, through the cottage garden, beside the brook, down & over a little ancient packhorse bridge, then into the village Inn, for a wonderful meal.
Mrs Baldwin takes the liberty sometimes (especially over long weekends) of making a table booking for dinner at the Hotel. She is so thoughtful.
Their email is - [email protected]
We shall never forget our drive over the North York Moors National Park, which was absolutely covered in heather, and the perfume was just fantastic.