Reload this Page >

Edinburgh medieval banquet

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Gael

Has anyone partaken of a medieval banquet in the UK? I recall reading about that option in an article about Edinburgh. If so, where, when, and how much did it cost?

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Kathleen

I'm headed for Scotland in June and would also love some information on banquets, reinactments, or sites that capture the feel of life before the '45. <BR>In a previous posting, I did see a mention of The Witchery which is a restaurant in Edinburgh near the Castle. The atmosphere is reported to be gothic, but I'm not sure about the food.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Sheila

1. Gael; I KNEW I'd answered this before. By judicious use of the "SEARCH" function I found this... <BR> <BR>"The only reference I can find to something appropraitely awful is the Carlton's "Hail Caledonia" deal which is £35/head for 5 courses and whisky and "entertainment". " <BR> <BR>These banquets are Scottish not especially mediaeval. Or others have recommended Dalhousie castle, but usually in the context of a wedding. <BR> <BR>2. The Witchery is fine-GREAT wine list; but, having gone especially to check it out for youse guys, I thought it overdone and overpriced and the food was OK but really not that special in the end of the day. I wouldn't go back, unless someone else was paying..

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Barbara

Sheila, Gael, Kathleen, <BR> <BR>I think I remember that about thiry years ago (or so - almost back in medieval times!)) there was a medieval banquet thing at Dalhousie Castle. I don't know of any now other than one in Anaheim, CA, not far from Disneyland. <BR>Sorry. <BR> <BR>Barbara.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Barbara

That would, of course, be "thirty" years!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Thyra

Hello, <BR> <BR>Warwick castle has a bunch of Medieval events, including holiday dinners around Christmas time use the following <BR>Link to check out their events schedule. <BR> <BR> http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/main/home.html <BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Sheila

You may find, however, that Warwick is not a handy commute for Edinburgh. On the other hand, Thyra read the question right, and I only read the header. When I did hthe search last night, there are quite a few banquets all over the place to check out...just not in Scotland

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Thyra

Thanks Sheila.... not a handy commute at all.... but some nice scenery in-between .

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 09:47 AM
John

Dalhousie Castle apparently has ditched their "medieval banquet" in favor of a "Scottish Banquet" approach featuring pipers piping and odes to haggi, evidently pre-arranged for large parties only. Otherwise they offer dining in a couple of restaurants, one called the Dungeon. <BR> <BR>I have to think this is a good thing, since the only thing medieval about the "medieval banquet" we attended at Dalhousie around the same time as Barbara was the chicken.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Marie

Sheila, would you happen to know the website address for the Carlton as I'd like to look into the "Hail Caledonia" deal? Thanks much, Marie

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Sheila

Try <BR> <BR>http://www.paramount-hotels.co.uk/main

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Barbara

Marie, the web address for the Carlton is www.paramount-hotels.co.uk then look for the Carlton.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Marie

Thank you, Barbra and Sheila. I've sent them an email asking for details. Marie