Edinburgh hotels in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

For some stupid reason I thought all of the festivals in Edinburgh would be over in August -- wrong! I should have been following Janis et als musings on this board a little more closely. But we weren't planning a trip to England -- we were going to go to Greece this summer which, as people might guess, turned out not to be such a hot idea.

Since it will be our 25th anniversary, and most of my English mates are turning 50 this summer, we decided to make the pilgrimage back to my old stomping ground. Husband has never been to Scotland, nor have I, so the simple plan is to head up to Edinburgh for a few days, along with the zillion other people attending festivals and whatnot, and check it out.

So with the lateness of this plan, I need help in booking lodging for my husband and I, and our soon to be 21 year old son. Having never been there (so don't know the neighborhoods), and knowing what I'm up against in terms of lodging and super high prices is not completely sold out, I still would like to be armed with info and help in making this work!

On area: we prefer to be in the thick of things, not scary and unsafe, but with pubs within walking distance; and we do NOT have a problem with noise.

Basic needs: a place to park the car; room for 3 people; and decent internet service (my husband does have to check his baseball scores).

Cost: While I usually like to spend no more than $150/night per room, my guess is that I'm going to need to budget about $300/night -- am I right?
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We liked Tailors Hall Hotel.
Right in the thick of things.
Their pub was so much fun.
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Will check it out right now, thanks!
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM

OVER? They're at their peak in August. What calendar do you use?

Try the Knight Residence if it's not sold out -- it's a suite hotel so the boy can be away from you oldies when he hits the sack. The hotel is about 2 blocks away from Johnston Terrace, which is a street that climbs alongside Edinburgh Castle and ends right on High Street (that would be The Royal Mile).

They have parking too. http://www.theknightresidence.co.uk/faqs
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM

I also recommend the Knight Residence. I've stayed there twice, including during the festival last year. It's great, and a perfect location.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

BigRuss -- the calendar in my increasingly smaller cranium! I don't know why I was thinking June was festival month -- maybe wishful thinking!

I'll check your and Amelie's rec. as well, thanks!
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:03 AM

A car in August in Edinburgh? With all the disruption due the building of the new tram system and festival crowds, unless you some desperate need, it will be a complete pain.
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:27 AM

I think you will have to take what's available at this late date, and the prices will be rather higher than normal too. Your odds improve if you don't choose a weekend stay during the festivals.

Still, I think it's really fun to visit Edinburgh during the festivals, even if your accommodation is more expensive or more spartan than your usual preferences. I'm glad my daughter and I did it a few years ago. We stayed in a university residence, which is called Edinburgh Metro SYHA during the summer, which was a great deal and very conveniently located, but very far from a 4* hotel.
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:37 AM

I see that university residence is offering private apartments now, with private kitchen and bathroom. I'm sure it's still a spartan option, but possibly worth considering.
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:38 AM

I stayed in university housing a few years ago (in July, not August) and it was fine. The one I stayed at was Central (it's name as well as it's location) and they had single, lockable rooms. Each "flat" had six single rooms, two bathrooms, and a kitchen/living area. You had a key to your own room, and only the six people in the flat had the key to the flat door, so much safer and private that a regular hostel. Booked through Scottish youth hostels. Great value, something like 17 pounds although I believe it doubled in August. That would be about $150 for the three of you. But they are probably already booked, but you could try. They have parking.

A few years before that I planned an August trip to Edinburgh and had to change my plans because even in April when I was looking, everything was booked except the most expensive places and prices were double their already expensive price.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:13 AM

They are probably booked, but Pilrig House has a darling two bedroom garden flat that is nestled in Pilrig Park. They have a parking space. (Believe me those are rare.)
The main problem you are going to have is most want a seven day rental during that period or at least a four day.
You could stay in Glasgow. It is an efficient 50 minute train ride straight into the heart of Edinburgh. Myself I would stay in Fife. Most visitors to Edinburgh take a day trip to Fife (to see the bridge if nothing else). You could reverse it and stay in Fife and see Edinburgh during the day.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Why do you need a car? You should still be able to get accommodation, but might need to be flexible
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume you are driving up to Edinburgh - because if you are flying you'll have no need for a car.

Instead of contacting a gazillion places looking for availability, I'd try the Visit Scotland booking site. It handles accommodations for the Edinburgh Tourist Information Centre. Click on 'More Search Options' and you can tick Parking and lots of other options. Then you can check TA and/or ask us for reviews of your short list before pulling the trigger (assuming you get enough choices to form a short list )

http://www.visitscotland.com/guide/where-to-stay/

Where are you coming up from -because the train or flying might be better options.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:23 PM

June is the Film Festival

http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Good point on the car, but since we're starting in the London area (actually friend's house in Brentwood, Essex) and wanted to stop in a few specific places on the way up, the plan was to either hire a car to go up, and drop it off in Edinburgh and take the train back down. I found a rental company that allows this, not badly priced. We're going up first to Stratford upon Avon to attend a play and meet up with an old professor from university days (he's hosting a summer study of Shakespeare); then to York for a few days; then up to Edinburgh. Edinburgh is the only place I've never been to.

I suppose I could drive the car and drop it off as soon as we get to Edinburgh. Your thoughts?

I will try the link, Janis, thanks!
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

I meant to add the "or" of just having my friend take over the driving, since he has a car, but as I was writing I thought that would be stupid, since that would mean we'd have to drive back down and I don't want to do that!
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If Edinburgh is your ultimate destination - then yes, drop the car when you get to Edinburgh. Not only will it save you some ££ on the car, it will open up your options for accommodations if you don't need parking.

But - if you plan some driving excursions out into the countryside -- then you'll need to keep the car.
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:40 AM

What a coincident - having EXACTLY the same posting name as the website you mention.

Cynical people might suggest there could be a connection
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:46 AM

It seems also rather odd that it's in such bad English.....
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:03 AM

If you are thinking to attend any festival shows you might want to be aware that International Festival tickets went on sale in March and some events are already sold out, so don't delay. A few big comedy venues already have Fringe tickets on sale but the main Fringe programme comes out on 10th June with the majority of tickets going on sale the next day. The Book Festival programme & ticket sales are June, too. This website has links to all the separate festivals' websites - http://www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk/.

You can't come to Edinburgh in August and not do any festival events ! It is the best time of year.

If you want to be central and in a hotel as opposed to an apartment I'd try the Novotel on Lauriston Place, the 2 Apex hotels in the Grassmarket, the Point, the Ibis on Hunter Square or the Premier Inn on Lauriston Place or Morrison Link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -