Edinburgh - Ghost Tours

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh - Ghost Tours

I thought that one night while we are in Edinburgh it would be fun to go on a tour of some of the more creepy areas. I’m more interested in the actual history of these places than being spooked. For instance, Mary King’s Close. Is there a tour that you can recommend that isn’t too cheesy but fun and interesting?
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM

We went on the Real Mary kings Close tour and found it quite interesting - a little cheese thrown in but it was mostly informative and adult-friendly.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:11 PM

I went on a ghost tour by Auld Reekie Tours. It was really fun.

I accidently came upon it. You meet at the big Tron Church on the Royal Mile.

http://www.auldreekietours.co.uk/

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Tours in Edinburgh

Tour of Royal Mile:

Tour Times: 11.00am daily until 31st March 2006, 2.30pm daily from 1st April 2006
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Tickets: £6.50 concession
Start At: Mercat Cross, High Street
Finish At: Edinburgh Castle Esplanade

The Vaults Tour:

Tour Times: Summer (April to September) 12:00 noon, 2:00pm, 3:00pm, 4:00pm
Duration: 1 hour
Tickets: £5.50 concession
Finish At: Blair St, off Hunter Square

Haunted Underground:

Tour Times: Summer (April to September) 5:00pm, 6:00pm
Duration: 1 hour
Tickets: £5.50 concession
Finish At: Blair St, off Hunter Square

The Ghosts & Ghouls:

Tour Times: Summer (April to September)7:00pm, 8:00pm, 9:00pm
Tickets: £6.50 concession Additional £1.50 for tavern option
Finish At: Blair St, off Hunter Square - Walk only
White Horse Inn, Canongate - Tavern Option

Ghost Hunter Trail:

Tour Times: Summer (April to September) 9:30pm,10:30pm
Tickets: £6.50 concession
Finish At: Canongate Graveyard
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I've been on The Witchery Tour, a Mercat Tour (of the vaults under South Bridge) and last month we went on the Real Mary Kings Close tour.

The spookiest one was the Mercat Vaults tour, the most interesting was the Real Mary Kings Close tour and the most fun was the Witchery tour (also the cheesiest though, but really good stories).

I would recommend any of those.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Super! thanks everyone for your comments. I think I'll start with the Real Mary King's Close and if my sister is up for something more spooky then we'll try the Vault tours.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM

I did both the Mercat Vaults tour and the Real Mary Kings Close tour.

The Vaults tour was very scary and the Real Mary tour was quite informative about the history of the Clsoe.

I really enjoyed both.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM

bookmarking
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:21 AM

Wow, Amelie, you really packed it in !

You are all much more up to date than me and this is all interesting and useful info.

I've been on the Witchery tour three times but not for a few years now. The last time I was a bit disappointed as it seemed to have become something of a parody of itself, more concerned with creating laughs than providing information or chills.

And I toured Mary King's Close a long time ago, when tours were run by an interested local councillor rather than an actual tour company and there were no 'props' as I believe there are noe.

Micki, will you be here during the Fringe Festival ? If so there are additional free tours of the Royal Mile - let me know if you are & want more info.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Oh no, I've been on the three tours on three seperate trips. The Witchery was in Dec of 02, the Mercat Vaults tour was in June of 03 and then the Mary Kings Close was last month.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:31 AM

Ah right - still, more different tours than I've done in 14 years here !
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 05:16 AM

I think the Witchery tours were the "original" ones - they used to leave from outside the Witchery restaurant, though not sure if they still do. I went on them a few times when I was a schoolkid.
My only piece of advice for these tours (in the summertime) is to make sure you book a slot on a tour that leaves late in the evening, otherwise it might well still be light - not very scary at all!
Also, if I remember rightly, the Vaults tour (and to a lesser extent, Mary Kings Close) is not a good idea if you are claustrophobic.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 06:39 AM

I went on the Mary King's Close tour last week with my husband and we really enjoyed it, but be aware that it's fairly expensive (about $40 for 2 people). The tour lasts about an hour. The guides are actors in costume who put on a pretty good show - ours was Mary King's daughter who had died in 17xx and "been there ever since!" It was a little silly but really informative and quite different from any other tour experience. It is dark down there (they have "atmospheric" lighting) which makes it all quite spooky. Honestly the best part was just looking down the close, where they've hung laundry from the upper stories, and imagining the street as it was in its heyday. Fascinating!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Reading these posts make it sound like fun. Can't wait.

Caroline_Edinburgh - we will be in Edinburgh Sep.15-20. How long does the Fringe festival last?
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Sorry Micki, all the festivals will be over by then. You'll just have to come again when they are on !
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Caroline, I'll be in Edinburgh on the 1st of September. I've read that the Edinburgh Mela Festival runs through the 2nd of September. Do you know anything about this festival or "Doors Open Days" which are supposed to be in September, but I don't know when.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM

Hi Dallas.

Sorry, I've never been to the Mela. I think it's mainly for families.

You will be here for the last 2 days of the International Festival too - see www.eif.co.uk. Even if you don't fancy any of the theatre, concerts etc on the Saturday, the fireworks concert on the Sunday is great - the Scottish Chamber Orchestra plays a concert in Princes Street Gardens & a fantastic firework display (c.30-40 minutes) is set off from the castle above, coordinated with the music. You don't have much chance of getting tickets for the gardens now but lots of people just go & stand all along Princes Street, where they have loudspeakers relaying the music. Where are you staying ? The only problem can be getting there & back since the streets are closed for a few hours & buses from the edge of the zone are very full afterwards. And are you OK for standing for a long time ?

Doors Open Day is 29 September, I'm afraid.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:41 PM

For Edinburgh Open Doors - http://www.cockburnassociation.org.u...t.asp?page=112
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Thanks for your reply, Caroline. The International Festival sounds great, but I'm afraid I can't stand comfortably for more than about an hour (knee replacements, you know). I'll be in Edinburgh from the 1st through the 20th of September. I'll be staying at the Arden Guest House at 126 Old Dalkeith Road. If you know of other festivals or craft shows, etc. that are available during that time -- I'd love to hear about them.

I hesitate to even suggest this, because, of course, you don't know me at all, but I'd really enjoy getting together one evening for drinks or dinner. You can email me at [email protected] Thanks again.

Thank you, Alan for the information about Edinburgh Open Doors. Unfortunately, I won't be in Edinburgh at that time.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:58 AM

If you are interested in books as well as tours, read "The Fanatick" before or during your stay.

There's a link here, I promise

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -