Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh for Holy Week(end) -- Will it be closed? Railstrike?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:40 AM
Sirius

I am traveling to London early next week and want to spend a couple of days in Edinburgh and thereabouts. That puts me there for Good Friday, Easter Saturday, and Easter Sunday. <BR><BR>Originally I had planned to go to Dublin, but a search on Dublin on this forum gave me the information that things pretty much shut down for Easter week(end). I'm hoping that will be less true for Scotland and Edinburgh, but would like advice about this.<BR><BR>I also note announcements of a Rail Strike in Scotland -- will this affect the London-Edinburgh trains?<BR><BR>Finally, if you are still reading and willing to give me advice, I wonder how possible it would be for me--a non-driver--to get to Inverness and/or the lovely natural wonders thereabouts without a car. Are there buses from Edindurgh (that would run over this weekend) or am I out of luck withour a hired limousine?!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:09 PM
RR

Not sure but I think the railstrike has been called off.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:27 PM
Marta

There are public coaches from Edinburgh to Inverness. There are also several mini-coach tour companies such as Rabbie's Trail Burners.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:56 AM
Patrick Wallace

The London-Edinburgh trains are run by a different company from Scotrail, where there was talk of a strike. You can keep up to date with the trains through www.railtrack.co.uk, www.scotrail.co.uk, www.gner.co.uk<BR><BR>For your other queries try www.edinburgh.org, the local tourist board

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:44 AM
Jenny

As someone who goes through the daily grind of train travel into Edinburgh, let me see if I can help!<BR><BR>- There are a number of one day strikes scheduled for over the next few weeks, but the two for next week have been called off. Full details can be found at http://www.news.scotsman.com/topics....9&id=304532002 (Ignore the part about the 26th & 28th being strike days.)<BR><BR>- The London-Edinburgh trains are run by both GNER & Virgin, so are all right, as the strikes are only by Scotrail drivers.<BR><BR>- Your Inverness trip may be disrupted by the strikes, if you planned to go by trains, but there is actually a coach (Citylink) service which busses up and down to Inverness from Edinburgh, via Pitlochry, which is actually not too bad!<BR><BR>- Easter Monday isn't actually a public holiday in Scotland, only Good Friday, but the shops, etc. should still be open. I work on Good Friday, and have never had problems with getting to work, etc. caused by anything being shut as far as I can remember.<BR><BR>Hope that helps somewhat - please feel free to mail me direct should you have any other questions I may be able to help with.<BR><BR>Jenny