Edinburgh Boutique or B&B Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our first trip to Edinburgh and looking for recommendations for small boutique hotel or B&B in city centre and close to Royal Mile. It will be just my husband and myself. Want to keep the rate between $150-200. Also looking for places to stay for a couple of days near St. Andrews and another place near Loch Lomond for another 2 nights.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:11 AM

I really enjoyed staying in this small hotel 3 years ago.

https://www.malmaison.com/locations/edinburgh/

Although this is not near the Royal Mile, it is close to the sea (in Leath), there are many interesting restaurants nearby (as an option) and I found it very easy and quick to take the bus to the centre, never waited more than 5-10 min for the bus to arrive - I even walked to the centre a few times as it was a very enjoyable stroll. I may not be the location you are looking for but I thought I would chime in anyways, just in case.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> it is close to the sea (in Leath Leith)<<

>> Want to keep the rate between $150-200.<< That is about £110-£150. WHEN specifically makes a huge difference. If in August - good luck. Other times quite doable.

For near Loch Lomond -- are you considering a more specific area (N/S/E or W of the Loch or on the Loch itself) If you mean just the general area, I'd consider being towards the east and in the Trossach's. Callander or Aberfoyle would be good. Easy access to Loch Lomomd and also Inchamhome, Stirling, Doune, plus other lochs and waterfalls

​​​​​​​St Andrews -- I'd look in Crail and/or near Anstruther.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

I am looking for recommendations for either boutique hotels or B&Bs in Edinburgh near city centre/Royal Mile, etc. I would like to stay below $200/night. Would also love recommendations for accommodations in/near St. Andrews and Loch Lomond. We will be staying a few nights in each of these areas. Thanks so much. We will have a car when we travel to St. Andrews and the Lochs.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 08:42 PM

We were impressed by the B&B 14 Hart - its name is its address. We thought the location to be excellent, as were the breakfasts and the rooms. The decor is also lovely. But, most important are the host and hostess, you would be hard pressed to find better. We have recommended 14 Hart to other Fodorites who have also enjoyed the place. It should be in your price range, so it is worth checking. I almost left out that the rooms come with a decanter of scotch whisky for your enjoyment gratis.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 10:24 PM

I have also stayed at 14 Hart Street and completely agree that it is lovely - we've also recommended it to friends and family. It's a quiet area but within easy reach of the heart of the city. The only slight reservation is car parking - we had our own car as we'd driven up from home (in North Yorkshire) and were then going to tour further north, On street parking can be difficult. We had to drop off bags and then park a few streets away which wasn't great. However, your email implies you won't pick our car up until you leave the city.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 10:40 PM

You have another thread with responses . . . ​​​​​​​Edinburgh Boutique or B&B Recommendations
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Are there any B&B or small hotels you would recommend in Trossach's/Callander/Aberfoyle and Crail/Arstruther?
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Is this B&B in city centre/near the Royal Mile?
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Anyone stay or have comments re The Rutland Hotel?
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 04:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Morgana
I have also stayed at 14 Hart Street and completely agree that it is lovely - we've also recommended it to friends and family. It's a quiet area but within easy reach of the heart of the city. The only slight reservation is car parking - we had our own car as we'd driven up from home (in North Yorkshire) and were then going to tour further north, On street parking can be difficult. We had to drop off bags and then park a few streets away which wasn't great. However, your email implies you won't pick our car up until you leave the city.
Another vote for 14 hart St. We stayed there in the Spring and thought it quite nice. It wwas maybe a 10-15 minute walk to the tourist section of town. Lots of restaurants and bars nearby it.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:18 AM

If you don't stay in the Old town (up on and near the Royal Mile) 14 Hart Street is quite good. Again, it does make a big difference when exactly you are traveling. In August 14 Hart St won't fit in your budget but most if the rest of the year it would.

Your budget is generous in the other areas EXCEPT for the St Andrews area in mid-July because the Open is up at Carnoustie this year and all that area including Fife will be busy/expensive.

There are several decent B&Bs in Callander take a look at this Annfield Annfield guesthouse | Callander B&B

In Fife all the fishing villages have multiple nice B&Bs - parking in the harbor areas can be difficult so this one in Anstruther is good -- a nice B&B but not on the harbor front ​​​​​​​The Spindrift Hotel - a little piece of paradise...

​​​​​​​BTW - that description on the ​​​​​​​Spindrift link is from their website not me though it is a nice property. (Fodors software converts links to the website's own title)

Last edited by janisj; Jan 17th, 2018 at 06:20 AM. Reason: added info
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gay friends of ours loved the Apex Waterloo. Great location near the Gay Village of Edinburgh.

Even if you aren't gay, gay nabes usually have great restaurants, cocktail bars, and shops.

Thin
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 09:53 AM

It is a fine place to stay, but in no way could the Apex Waterloo Place be called a 'Boutique' hotel or B&B. I assumed the OP is looking for a small property.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

We are going at the beginning of June. Would those areas be busy/expensive at that time of year? Any other recommendations for smalls hotels and B&Bs near St, Andrews and the Lochs?
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have an Expedia App, guv?

​​​So easy to find a hotel with the app.

Thin

​​
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by heharris
We are going at the beginning of June. Would those areas be busy/expensive at that time of year? Any other recommendations for smalls hotels and B&Bs near St, Andrews and the Lochs?
Early June will be totally fine and room rates won't be elevated. Have you looked at the ones already suggested? Are they the sorts of places you are looking for?
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I am looking into those suggestions. 14 Hart looks lovely but i really want to be closer to city center since we have such a short period in the city. Also, starting to research the Fife area and places to stay there. My husband will be playing golf at St. Andrews so would like a place close to the course but don't want to spend a fortune on a room.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
When I saw June I thought oh oh for St Andrews. Graduation ceremonies are in late June and accommodation disappears. People think of St Andrews as a golf town but it is very much a university town. But you should be ok at the start of June.

I would recommend some places but I am pretty sure you don't want to stay where I usually stay.
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 12:22 PM

>>My husband will be playing golf at St. Andrews so would like a place close to the course<<

Pretty much anywhere in the East Neuk would be close enough to the Old Course yet far enough to avoid St Andrews' room rates. That's why I suggested those two fishing villages.

This place Kilconquhar Castle Estate normally books by the week but offers short breaks in the off season. Perhaps contact them to see if they could do a short break in early June before the summer rush. It is a wonderful property about 10 miles from St Andrews . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -