Search

Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh

Hi!<BR>Has any of you visited Edinburgh recently? Is is worth the visit? (After the fire, I mean) <BR>My idea is going in July. Is there a good weather? What can I see/visit/do?<BR>Thanks for your answers, <BR>M&oacute;nica
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:15 AM

Monica<BR><BR>You won't even notice the impact of the fire.<BR><BR>You might get good weather; you might not. This is Scotland<BR><BR>Edinburgh itself is a mixture of a wonderful late mediaeval city with a planned Georgian New Town. The Castle is a must, but a brisk hike up Arthur's seat (a hill in the centre of the town above Holyrood Palace) will give you magnificent views out over the whole of east central Scotland. <BR><BR>The Royal Yacht Britannia is berthed at Leith, Edinburgh's port, and can be visited by the public, and the new Museum of Scotland in the centre of the City is pretty good, for the architecture as well as the exhibits. <BR><BR>It's also a great shopping city. <BR><BR>Mary Kings Close is a street which, in the middle ages, was on ground level but when the great plague came to visit Scotland (and Edinburgh in particular) it hit the place hard. The worst section of the city was right in the heart of the 'Old Town', where the present City Chambers are nowadays. This street was known as Mary King’s Close (after an advocate’s daughter so the story goes) and the local authorities, the kind beings that they are, decided to seal both entrances of the street up with everyone still inside. This street was rediscovered many years later and now you can take a tour down there. WARNING - they tell you that because of the many people sealed alive down there that there are ghosts aplenty. Tours can be arranged from the Royal Mile and there's a new visitor centre<BR><BR>Arthur's Seat IS a magnificent climb and, unless it is raining, well worth it for the views. It is a great open space in the city. The approx. 1/2 mile hike provides a commanding view of the city, castle, sea, and surrounding countryside.<BR>A list of things to see includes<BR>The New Town-planned grid Georgian -makes Bath pale by comparison<BR>The Royal Mile -Medieval route between the Castle and Holyrood palace<BR>The Castle <BR>Valvona and Crolla -best deli in the UK<BR>Greyfriars Bobby - statue of dog who sat at his master’s grave for decades<BR>The Meadows - huge park I the town centre<BR>Dean Village - working men’s planned village<BR>The Scott Monument -Gothic Sky rocket memorial to Queen Victoria’s favourite Scottish author<BR>Calton Hill -Observatory<BR>Arthur's Seat -see above<BR>Hollyrood- Palace and Park - Queen’s Scottish town house and big garden<BR>The New parliament - this trip can be arranged. There is a visitor's gallery at the Scottish parliament and you can get tickets from (would you believe) the ticket office! There is no dress code.<BR>
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:16 AM

<BR>The Museum of Childhood - on the Royal Mile<BR>Cafe Vittoria - neighbourhood Tally restaurant. Very down to earth.<BR>St Giles Cathedral - on the Mile. Scene of Jenny what’shername’s tantrum. Crown tower<BR>Parliament House - where the big wigs hang out (what a terrible pun)<BR>Make sure you visit the National Museum of Scotland (Chambers St) in Edinburgh. It just opened and is incredible.<BR>Gladstone’s Land, -mediaeval close off the High Street(the Mile)<BR>Plus there are great restaurants, pubs, gardens and parks. My favorite restaurant is The Marque. It is on Causewayside and the food is fantastic. The prices were quite reasonable considering the level of cuisine (about $35.00 per person including dessert). If it's atmosphere you like try The Witchery. The prices are a little steep, but the food is good and it's right beside the castle. (as far as atmosphere, the name says it all) <BR><BR>Other great restaurants include Stac Polly, Tuscan Square, Caf&eacute; Hub, Browns, Le Sept, Est Est Est, Bann’s, Henderson’s, the Kalpna, Viva Mexico, Shamiana, the Siam Erewan, the Loon Fung.<BR><BR>Other great pubs include the Caf&eacute; Royal, the Barony, Mathers, the Diggers (posh name the Athletic Arms), the Roseburn, Bert’s, and the Abbotsford.<BR><BR>This is a city heaving with museums. I believe I have mentioned the National Museum of Scotland and the Museum of Childhood. In addition there areBR>The National Gallery and Royal Scottish Academy<BR>the National Portrait Gallery<BR>The Gallery of Modern Art<BR>The Dean Gallery<BR>The Georgian House<BR>The City Art Centre<BR>The Fruitmarket Gallery,<BR>The Collective Gallery<BR>The Printmakers’ Workshop<BR><BR>Or you can go to the Zoo; Dynamic Earth(mixed reviews- haven’t been myself), or the Botanic Gardens.<BR><BR>It’s awash with places to walk, sporting facilities, cinemas, theatres, music venues, and stunning architecture.<BR>
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 05:58 AM

Thank you for such a thorough listing, Sheila. I am leaving for my Scotland trip on Tuesday and have printed this so I can use it, too.<BR>This is fabulous!
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:15 AM

I was fortunate enough to visit Edinburgh last June and absolutely loved it! Just be sure to carry one of those lightweight travel umbrellas with you since chances are that it will rain at some point in time during the day. Have a great trip!<BR><BR>Melissa
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you.<BR>The list is impressive!!! you have definitely convinced me to go.