Search

Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Cathy

Edinburgh

I am thinking of visiting Edinburgh during my trip to the UK. How long s recommended for this city and what are the 'must sees' or must dos'? Any tips appreciated!!

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Job

Cathy, <BR> <BR>Did you know that Fodors publishes books about places like Edinburgh and that you can make your own miniguide, culled from those books, at this very website? <BR> <BR>In case you really didn't know that, try this: <BR> <BR>http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...n=edinburgh@61 <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Vanessa

Hi Cathy, <BR> I just got back from Edinburgh and absolutely loved it! It's a breathtaking city. I was there for 4 days. I arrived by train at Waverley Station from London's Kings Cross Station. FYI--if you decide to take the train call ahead from home for tickets, it will save you a lot of money. <BR> Here are some of the things I did that I would highly recommend, and that just about every visitor sees: <BR>1. Edinburgh Castle <BR>2. Holyrood Palace <BR>3. Calton Hill <BR>4. The National Gallery <BR>5. St. Giles Cathedral <BR>6. Royal Museum/Museum of Scotland <BR>7. John Knox's House <BR>8. Georgian House <BR>9. The Writer's Museum <BR>10. The wonderful walking tours of the city: great ghost tours and literary pub tour. <BR>11. The Royal Botanic Garden <BR>12. The Grassmarket area <BR> <BR>The main thing to do in Edinburgh is WALK. Just walk everywhere. I must have walked 10 miles a day there, and mostly in loops and circles. It was wonderful. For major shopping areas, there is Princes Street and the Royal mile. <BR>I stayed at Castle View Guest House (www.castleviewgh.co.uk), which I highly recommend. It was lovely. <BR> <BR>I hope you go and have a great time!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Tony Hughes

I would turn the question around and say 'Why are you thinking of visiting Edinburgh?'. There must be something of appeal that you already know for you to want to visit it, after all it's rare to visit somewhere on a simple whim. <BR> <BR>Avoid Grassmarket, it's old but crammed with student pubs. Unless you are a student I suppose.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:06 AM
John

Cathy: <BR>We visited Edinburgh last Easter. <BR>I endorse Vanessa's recommendation to the letter. It's a wonderful city. <BR>Go and enjoy! <BR>John <BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Joe

Great City! Vanessa's suggestions are right on. Be sure to spend some time in the Georgian section of the City as well. Many good restaurants, Indian, Asian, Italian (The Patio is fun and very good), etc. Try the Shore out on the Estuary. Great food. Nice atmosphere on the water. Reservations essential. Staurt House is another nice B&B. Edinburgh is one of our favorite Cities.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:31 PM
kam

We spent two weeks this fall in London (only one day) then York, then the Yorkshire Dales (wonderful little town called Reeth near Richmond), then Durham, then Alnwick and finally Edinburgh. Ended by taking the train directly back to London King's Cross. If you commit to a certain train and book second class on a certain date and time, it's very reasonable. Wonderful part of England/Scotland. Deacon Brodie's pub on the Royal Mile is super. Also, don't miss the Scotch Heritage Museum near the Castle which includes great history of whisky and tastings too. Edinburgh's a perfect walking city. Holyrood Palace is lovely and you can spend hours at Edinburgh Castle.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Cathy

THANK YOU everyone for your ideas and advice.... much appreciated!!! THANK YOU all.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Sam

Cathy, there is a really useful guide to the best of Edinburgh at: <BR><BR>http://www.clearcut.co.uk/scotlandth...html?section=1 <BR><BR>Other useful sites include: <BR><BR>http://www.hotelsandflights.com/scotland.html <BR>and <BR>http://www.UKTravelWeb.com <BR><BR>I would recommend the Castle; the Botanic Gardens; and a walk up Arthurs Seat for the views - if the weather is clear. <BR><BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 08:43 AM
bob

There was an article in the Independent newspaper (UK) a while back - titled the 50 best things to see and do in Edinburgh. Anyway, the article is at: http://travel.independent.co.uk/dest...sp?story=56312 (Cut and paste the whole url). <BR><BR>They recommended: <BR><BR>Best getaways<BR>Royal Botanic Gardens<BR>Portobello Beach<BR>Arthur's Seat<BR>Princes Street Gardens<BR>Short-Hole Course In The Meadows<BR>Klownz<BR>Calton Hill<BR>Water Of Leith<BR>Dean Cemetery<BR>The Commonwealth Pool <BR><BR>Best pubs & bars<BR>Port O' Leith<BR>Favorit<BR>The Blue Moon Caf?<BR>The Pond<BR>Dizzy Lizzy's<BR>Robbie's<BR>Monbodo<BR>Caf? Royal<BR>City Cafe<BR>The Cask And Barrel<BR><BR><BR>Best restaurants<BR>The Witchery<BR>Henderson's<BR>Brattisani's Fish And Chip Restaurant<BR>The Tower<BR>Blue<BR>The Apartment<BR>Fishers<BR>La Potiniere<BR>The Tapas Tree<BR>Restaurant Martin Wishart <BR><BR>Best shops<BR>Corniche<BR>Jane Davidson<BR>Joseph Bonnar<BR>Wm Armstrong & Sons<BR>Jenners<BR>Cruise<BR>Robert Cresser's Brush Shop<BR>Valvona & Crolla<BR>Just Junk<BR>The Cook's Bookshop<BR><BR><BR>Best tourist attractions<BR>Dynamic Earth<BR>Camera Obscura<BR>Mary King's Close<BR>National Museum Of Scotland Discovery Centre<BR>Roslin Chapel<BR>The Royal Yacht Britannia<BR>Edinburgh Zoo<BR>The Royal Mile<BR>The National Galleries<BR>The Forth Railway Bridge <BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Bob.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 01:01 AM
t

ttt