Reload this Page >

Economy Lodgings

Search

Economy Lodgings

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 05:06 PM
Sandi

Economy Lodgings

Does anyone know of a listing of rooms available in private homes (not Bed and Breakfasts) in England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland? We are also interested in pensiones that are clean, reputable, and very inexpensive. All information pertinate to long term economy travel in Europe appreciated! We're beginning planning for a six month expedition. Thanks!

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 03:40 AM
Mary Ann

Many of the travel books do list pensions, Rick Steves for example usually will list a couple, depending on the city. Also if you do a search on a particular city of this forum, you may find accomodations that have been recommended or rejected.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 03:40 AM
Mary Ann

Many of the travel books do list pensions, Rick Steves for example usually will list a couple, depending on the city. Also if you do a search on a particular city of this forum, you may find accomodations that have been recommended or rejected.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 07:19 AM
elvira

Several years ago I wrote to the British Tourist Bureau "got a list of stays in private homes?" and I got a great booklet, oddly enough entitled "Stays in British Homes". It's now out of date, I'm sure, but I'd suggest contacting them for an updated version (it's free, too). Never tried the same in France or Italy, etc. but their respective tourist bureaus might have similar publications. <BR>I'm a big advocate of tourist bureaus, as I've gotten gorgeous brochures, off-beat ideas, and calendars of current events. Anyway, it's a very cool thing to get all those giant envelopes with tourist bureau return addresses.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 11:09 PM
Jan

Check out the educators bed and breakfast network their web site is:-www.edubabnet.com. This is a private travel network of over 3,500 people in 42 countries offering B&B in their own homes, you have to pay annual membership fee but I guess you would get that back and more in savings. I haven't personally used the network but there was an article about it in our university magazine and it sounded like a good idea.

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 09:46 AM
Peggy

Hi Sandi: Years ago when I was traveling with my husband and young children in Holland, we didn't have reservations and most hotels were booked up because of the tulip season, we went to the local Police Dept. and they gave us a list of names of people that rented out rooms in their homes, we met the nicest people this way and had the best meals prepared for us. Good luck and have fun.