Eating in Paris on $100 a day

Feb 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Eating in Paris on $100 a day

Is this possible? Or are we kidding ourselves? We would like to enjoy a couple of nice meals, yet save our $ for sightseeing and shopping. We are already planning on making lunch the main meal of the day with the "fixed price" menus. Any other ideas on how this could be done? Many thanks in advance!
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM

I have always eaten very well and inexpensively following the recommendations on this website:

http://www.jack-travel.com/Paris/Par...t_and_walk.htm
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:34 PM

If you want some fancy, multi-course meal at an upscale place all the time, then it's probably not enough.

But most brasseries and smaller restaurants don't require anything near that much and they usually have fixed-priced options at different price points.

If you want something out of the Michelin guide though, then it's going to be more.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:35 PM

JB: Do you think you can eat in the USA for $100 per day for two? If your answer is yes, then you can do it in Paris, IMHO....for the one or two splurges, have a baguette ham and cheese for lunch and enjoy your dinner splurge which could take you well over the $100 mark for the day. Frankly, we have found that we can eat to our satisfaction in any country in the world at $100 per day per two...dunno about the others on this board. Let them tell you where to go for your meals. I'm sure they will. Good luck...don't sweat it...enjoy!
Stu T.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Lots of helpful info on this thread, titled
"does Paris have to be expensive?"
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34733142
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM

If you make the lunch menu the big splurge you can do it but no in between snacks or drinks, Always order the house carafe when possible.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Yes, you can do it. Plan some romantic picnics for dinner. Stop by the local grocery stores for drinks/snacks during the day.

Notre Dame has a free pasta dinner on Thursday nights. Okay, I was kidding about that one.

Feb 26th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Rick Steves says you can eat, go to a museum or two and pay for a room for that amount!!!
Seriously, you don't have to spend a fortune to have an excellent meal in Paris. I've found that a fantastic prix fixe meal, dessert and sometimes wine included, can be had for 20-30 Euro.
The Great Eats in Europe and Time Out Paris Eating and Drinking guides do a great job of sorting out the best options in various price categories.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:39 PM

I think you can do it and do it nicely if you don't need 3 huge meals a day. For a special but delicious meal within your pricerange, check out legrandcafe.com.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM

Oops, make that Great Eats in Paris (not Great Eats in Europe)!

Pardon, mon ami.
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

I should have also mentioned it is for two people that I was inquiring. I feel much better now, and if anyone has had fabulous experiences at restaurants while on a budget, let's hear 'em!
Feb 26th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Many people have this experience of Paris: They are hungry, they are tired, they want to sit down, they don't know of many recommended restaurants in the immediate vicintiy, so they quit looking at their guidebook and instead read the menus posted outside a bistro. They soon enough see prices they like and happy-looking Parisians eating there. So they join them, and they swear to you it's the best meal of their lives -- but they can't remember the name of place and often aren't even sure which street it was on.

Among my most memorable meals in Paris was near the Jardin des Plantes. Someone was making toasted sandwiches on a pushcart. I bought one. It cost nothing. It was incredibly delicous (fresh bread, fresh mustard, fresh tomatoes, fabulous cheese). While I was eating it, a tiny bird came and sat on my arm, looking to share. I think it was his favorite Paris sandwich maker. (I did share.)
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:28 AM
ira

Hi J,

Bkfst - croissant and coffee 4E
Lunch - salad orsandwich and 10E
glass of wine
Dinner - from the Menu plus 30E
1/2 carafe or bottle of wine

Meals for 2 - approx $100

Feb 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM

when i travel to paris on business, my per diem expense rate is €55. this is a good indicator of how much it costs to eat 3 comfortable (but not extravagent) meals.