Eating at your "native" restaurants

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eating at your "native" restaurants

Several recent messages have caused me to think about a "double standard" we seem to have about travel. Someone coming from Europe to the US wanted to know where he could see some major soccer finals. People answered and no one scolded him about spending time in the US watching European soccer. Yet if anyone from the US posts about where to see the Super Bowl in Venice or Paris -- he will be slammed for thinking of spending part of his vacation doing anything so American.

But now about restaurants. Is that the same? We certainly see slams for people wanting an American style breakfast in Europe or going to MacDonald's. Yet here in Florida we have a lot of European travelers. When I go to a local French restaurant there are invariably visiting French people there. And we have one Italian place that seems to be a magnet for all Italian visitors here. Same with a German place. So is it considered OK for them, but not for us? I certainly never imagine anyone "scolding" these people for visiting a restaurant in the US that serves their native food. Why is it a no-no for us?

Can anyone explain the "double standard"?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM

It is a double standard but to be honest with you, American food is not that great in comparison, and I think that is the main reason. Personally, I never eat at American style restaurants abroad, except if it is Thanksgiving!!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

So a good American breakfast is not as good as a stale croissant, watery orange juice, and coffee in a hotel in Europe? Sorry, I could beg to differ on that.

And I've eaten the German food at our local place that Germans flock to -- trust me, it "ain't" great.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM

"American food is not that great.." Bianca you are kidding, right? Just what kind of American food are you tarring with that broad brush?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:15 PM

I am not fond of German food, but when it comes to Italian and French food, in my opinion, it is a no-brainer -- American food just can't compete. Sure a greasy hamburger or "California fusion cuisine" is satisfying every now and then, but if you only have 2-3 weeks in Europe, save the crave for when you return home. And stale croissant -- don't eat a hotel breakfast -- go to the local bakery instead!! I never stay in hotels -- I always rent apartments instead so am in control of where my meals come from and don't have to deal with lame continental breakfasts. I am from the San Francisco Bay Area and am also a travel professional, so perhaps these two factors make me very spoiled when it comes to food.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM

I am from the southern part of the US (for most of my life anyway) and I think we have some of the best food in the world
Also...I must chime in for New England Clam Chowder...America definitely has some "good eats."
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

bianca, you're totally missing the point. Sure you can find bad or good food anywhere. My point is that no one will scold Americans for eating breakfast in their hotel in Paris, but they will scold them (and have here often) when they ask where they can get a full "American" style breakfast.
The point here isn't about the quality of food -- it's about seeking your own style of food as opposed to only eating local. My point was that no one is bothered when French go to a French restaurant in Peoria, but they scream bloody murder when an American goes to an American restaurant in Nice. Why does no one suggest those French people wait for their great food when they get home and while in the states seek out the best of "local cuisine" places? Get it?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM

because it isn't the same. you must agree that classic french and italian food are incomparable. if you don't agree - then i accept that, and we should then choose to disagree and accept our disagreements. I am happy to do so.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Bianca you truly are missing the point. Although it is not the issue, I would venture to say that you have not sampled some of the fantastic food on offer here in the US... Perhaps as a travel professional you have not traveled much in this country..not to New England for the seafood, or to Kentucky for the BBQ. Or to Tucson for their version of Northern Mexican... I could go on and on but as Neo said, this is not the point here...
We certainly have some great chefs cooking the American vernacular right here in NYC and I would guess you have the same in the Bay area...

Neo, I see your point and I agree with you. I think that many Italians, especially, are not adventurous when it comes to food. They seem to me to stick to the food of their egion even when traveling within Italy...

Yet no one ever comments on this, while Americans do get blasted... HOWEVER, I think it is safe to say that the restaurants in Europe which feature American fare are not offering the best of what the US has to offer, but tend to the stereotypical hamburgers and the like... But in the US, because of our immigrant tradition, we Do have some terrific places serving the food of Italy..and India, and on and on..

Hope I am making some sense here...
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM

I am not missing the point. I have lived in Paris, Florence, London for a good part of my life. Judge me as you may but I have traveled and lived in Europe for over 10 of my 30 years. I got married in Florence just this past May as well. I am very aware of the "differences" and nuances between the US and Europe. But to subject yourself to bad American food because of familiarity or nostalgia - no, not worth it - better to have a bad European breakfast than to have a mediocre attempt at an American breakfast. Or skip breakfast altogether and have a generous spread instead for lunch. Just my two cents...
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Yes, there is some sense there, but here's another thought to indicate that I really don't think it's a matter of seeking the best quality, but seeking the "familiar". Here in Naples, tons of Italian tourists flock to Olive Garden. Now are you really going to tell me that the quality there is better than some great American steakhouse next door? My point is they go for the familiar rather than seek out what is truly American and that seems to be fine. But an American wanting eggs benedict or pancakes or ham and eggs in Paris for breakfast is scorned.

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:23 PM

I am bowing out. You are not grasping the issue here...it has nothing to do with the fact that you have traveled to a couple of places in your life!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

bianca, you have answered my question why some people scorn anyone who seeks out "American". It's because some of you think anything "American" is automatically bad and anything French or Italian is automatically better.

I had a fantastic breakfast at a place in Paris called Breakfast in America. It was wonderful. But because of the name if nothing else you would KNOW that it is inferior to anything else in Paris. I've also had some pretty bad breakfasts in Paris -- really undrinkable coffee and stale pastries. But because they are Parisian, I'm sure you'd think they are superior to that "American" breakfast of perfectly cooked eggs and ham. Thank you for your thoughts. Very revealing.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:34 PM

I love Breakfast in America. I was in Paris a couple of years ago and enjoyed my fill of crepes and croissants, but after several days, I had a hankering for scrambled eggs. BIA fit the bill nicely. Plus, we found other Americans to talk baseball with. I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not like I spent the entire vacation eating only at McDs.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM

to ekscrunchy I have traveled to Europe 20 times in my 32 years of living. And yes, as a child, I was homesick for burgers and fries, but having traveled there 14 times as an adult since 1995, then I think I have some expertise on the issue at hand. My son first went in 97 and has been back 7 times since then. He loves the local food and has no desire to visit American style restaurants while there. He attends a French-American school here in California, but he is amenable and enthusiastic even about trying all the delights the local restaurants have to offer. I beg you to do the same.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM

You beg me to do WHAT, Bianca?

And guess what, compared to some of us, you have barely scratched the surface as far as traveling goes!
And that has EXACTLY NOTHING to do with NeoPartick's original query.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM

ekscrunchy when I said I beg you to do the same was in reference to enjoying only the local flavors as opposed to American chain restaurants. But do as you please. Paris is my heart and so is florence.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

"American chain restaurants"? You really didn't get the question, did you, bianca?

When an American is going to Paris and wants more for breakfast than the usual coffee and croissant or baquette (and some of us have medical reasons why that is NOT a good breakfast) he may express an interest in getting an "American style breakfast" like eggs. He may get that at Paul or some Parisian cafes. My query has to do with people who slam him for wanting eggs which he can get at home instead of just doing what Parisians do. It has nothing in the world to do with seeking out an American chain! And my main point is really the other way. If his seeking the type breakfast he has at home instead of bowing to local tradition is considered so horrible, then why is it OK for an Italian to seek out only Italian restaurants in the US instead of doing more typically American food? Or why shouldn't a Parisian visiting in New York be slammed for just grabbing a croissant and coffee for breakfast like he does at home instead of going to a diner and eating a full American breakfast.

Get it yet? Why the double standard? And NO it has nothing to do with the quality of the food.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Oh my gosh...

Bianca...you have no idea.....

I know you are new here, but truly you are "talking" to the wrong person about local eating!

And you still have no idea of the thrust of this discussion!!!!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM

I'm done. Do what you want. Paris is my heart. Live it as you will!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -