Search

Eaten alive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Andrea

Eaten alive

I'm going to St Petersburg in August and I hear that mosquitos can be vicious at that time of the year. Is this true? Are there any mosquito deterents/nets in hotels? Is there aircon in most hotels or do you have to sleep with you windows open (I'm staying at the Moskva)? Should I wear mossie protection during the day?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:56 AM
elina

Mosquito season is almost over in August. The most bloodthirsty they are in June and July. But if you want you could use some repellent in the evenings. To use it on your ankles and legs should be enough, since those bodyparts are the most wanted ones. You don´t usually need repellent in day time except in a forest. <BR><BR>Sorry, I know nothing of hotel Moskva.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:40 AM
PrinMulan

You also might want to check with your doctor about getting someof the immunizations that can be read on the CDC's website. I just got mine today and I'm just going to Moscow and St. Petersburg and staying in 4 star hotels...7 shots in all. Ouch, that smarts!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:09 AM
EP

Shots for mosquitos??? Mosquitos in Russia don´t carry any diseases. All they do is give you a little pump that itches for a day. Very innocent.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:22 AM
xxx

Try taking black walnut supplements as anti-mosquito... or I hear Avon Skin Lotion works well. If you do get bitten the BEST anti-itch "medication" is tiger balm!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:03 AM
l

try taking inky - that should be pretty repellent

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:38 AM
nina

As a suggestion, if you sleep with the window open (and you probably will) do NOT under any circumstances turn the light on. If you must turn the light on, shut the window FIRST. Mosquitos will swarm to the light.<BR><BR>Nina

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:56 AM
LJ

The Avon product referred to is called Skin-So-Soft. It is amazingly effective as an insect repellent as it is made with citronella...it is neither sticky nore "weird" in texture like so many other bug repellent lotions and actually smells quite decent.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:05 AM
what

Those mosquitos will get you all over Europe! I don't understand why they have resisted screen windows for allthese years.They have finally begun to accept A/C-sort of but back to the mosqitos.We learned years ago to bring the coils,go to a camping store and buy a couple of packs,cheap enough. You can buy candles over in Europe but the coils work great.The trick is not open the window until you are readyto go to sleep,turn off the lights,open window ,set coil close by and then light and enjoy a mosquito-free night!