Reload this Page >

Easy question (I tthought) re: Changing of the Guard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Brian

Hi, <BR> <BR>I know that in August the Changing of the Guard occurs on alternate days. What I'm trying to figure out is WHICH alternate days - even or odd - so that I can plan which day to go. I thought that would be an easy enough thing to find on the web, but so far no such luck. I've looked at royal.gov.uk & londontown.com etc. - Does anyone know the answer???

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:09 AM
wes fowler

Brian, <BR>Consider instead the Changing of the Guard at Horse Guards rather than at Buckingham Palace. It's a daily event and one which you can easily watch without having to peer over the heads of hundreds of tourists. You can get close enough to the "action" to find yourself swatted by a horse's tail.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Brian

Ah, yes, the horrible, horrible crowds. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm travelling with two friends who've never been to London, and I'm afraid the Changing of the Guard AT Buckingham Palace is one of their "must see" events - but I'll pass along your words of wisdom and maybe change their minds!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:39 AM
wes fowler

Brian, <BR>If your fellow travelers are stuck on Buckingham Palace's Changing of the Guard, schedule an even numbered day for the viewing. Take a look at the following website for details: <BR> <BR>www.londontown.com/guides.phtml?a=guard <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 07:24 AM
janis

Instead of the changing of the Guard (Horse guards is a good alternative) - why don't you tour the Palace instead? The Palace is only open to the public in August and September. If you are interested, that would be much more memorable than standing out on the sidewalk for two hours for a mere glimpse of the guard change/band.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:04 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>Some people have already tried to talk you out of the Changing of the Guard at Buck. Palace, for good reason. I'm sorry to say that you'll see little other than tourists' heads or backs. The Change takes place some two hundred feet inside the iron gates. I'll second the alternatives that have been offered, and provide a few more details. <BR> <BR>Check the website wes gave you, but as far as I know the Changing of the Guard takes place in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace at 11.30 EVERY day May to August (unless that has changed, every other day (odd days or even days, depending on the "odd or evenness" of the number of the month) September to April, and lasts about 45 minutes. The New Guard marches to the Palace <BR>from Wellington Barracks with a Guards band, the Old Guard hands over and then returns to barracks. You should be able to get quite close as they start to march over to the Palace. <BR> <BR>Per Information from Rick Steves's website: For all the military color with none of the crowds, see the Inspection of the Guard Ceremony at 11:00 in front of the Wellington Barracks, 500 yards east of the palace on Birdcage Walk. For updated information on changing of the Guard call 0839 1234110 <BR> <BR>At the Horse Guards, on Whitehall halfway between Trafalgar Square and Parliament, you can see a guard changing with many fewer tourists to block your view. The nearest tube station is Westminster or Charing Cross. From the Westminster tube stop, walk away from the river towards Parliament Street and turn right. Parliament Street becomes Whitehall. <BR> <BR>You'll find the Horse Guards on Whitehall on the left, just across the street from the Banqueting House ( a beautiful building for a short stop. Go through the entrance to the parade grounds at the rear. The guards are changed at 11am Mon-Sat and 10am on Sundays. The new guard leaves Hyde Park barracks, about 30-35 minutes before the Changing, rides down Pall Mall, and arrives at the Horse Guards building. <BR> <BR>You can also see a Changing of the Guard at the Tower of London, in front of the White Tower. There is a Changing of the Guard at Windsor Castle as well. <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:35 PM
DeeInLB

You're right that it's on alternate days. Here's the info on Changing of the Guard, and on visiting the palace, from the official palace web site: (http://www.royalresidences.com/frBPalace.htm): <BR> <BR>To assist you in planning your visit, the Changing of the Guard ceremony will take place on 'even' dates during August, i.e. 4th, 6th, 8th, etc. and on 'odd' dates during September, i.e. 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc. <BR> <BR>The State Rooms at Buckingham Palace will be open daily from 4th August until 30th September, 2001. <BR>