Reload this Page >

Easy internet access in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 07:34 PM
Harriet

Not that I want to spend much, if any, time in front of a computer while I'm in Paris, but I'm wondering if there are many internet/cyber cafes or "shops" in Paris. Any sense of the price for this service? I'm fairly certain my hotel doesn't have access. Thanks.

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 06:22 AM
hcw

Harriet -- <BR>I had an e-mail last night from a couple who've just returned from Paris, having rented an apartment from the same company I'm renting from when we are there next week. The apartment is on the Rue de l'Ecole Polytechnique, in the Latin Quarter, and she says there was a cybercafe next door. Rates were 25ff for half an hour, 40ff for an hour, which seems quite reasonable to me. She didn't tell me the name of the cafe, but if you want to contact her let me know & I'll give you her e-mail address. I know there are other similar places, but can't put my finger on them at the moment. If I run across other references, I'll let you know. <BR>Harriett too!

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 06:44 AM
Robin

<BR>Yes - I'd also like to know where to find an internet cafe. It's an inexpensive way to "phone home" and let everyone know all's well (or if there's any problems, then a great way to contact without the time zone hassles). <BR>I'll be staying in the 7th arrondissement. Anyone know of internet access if this neighborhood?

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 08:57 AM
vincent

There are Internet cafés more or less all around. I know one near my office on rue de Médicis (opposite Luxembourg gardens). One good bet would be to hang around universities (such as Jussieu in the 5th), there should be some.

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 09:46 PM
Nancy

In my wanderings, I came across a list of cybercafes in Paris. Try http://www.paris-touristoffice.com Look under Paris nightlife. Not my idea of nightlife, but thought I'd pass it on. Also includes webb sites for certain cafes. They're everywhere. Hope it helps.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 02:03 PM
Ann

I just returned from France, where I visited my son. When we were in Paris, he used the cybercafe by the Luxembourg Gardens mentioned in a previous answer. He had found its location in his Let's Go France book. There was no wait, and he was happy that there were "American" keyboards. I didn't realize that French keyboards are arranged differently. Anyway, while he was in the cybercafe, I spent a very enjoyable half hour wandering through the very peaceful and beautiful garden. I would recommend it, also.

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 07:59 PM
vrangel

I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago, and my friend and I used the internet at this place called the Web Bar. It is in the 3rd arrondisement. They are opened daily from 11:30-2:30am. <BR>The Metro stop to get off at is Republique. Here is the address: <BR>Web Bar <BR>32 rue de Picardie <BR>There are 14 computers on the second level of the cafe, and you pay 40F ($6.80) an hour. Try to avoid weekdays between 5 and 7 p.m. or you may have to wait to use them. I found the place in my guidebook (which I used A LOT) Frommer's 99: Paris From $70 a Day. <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 06:53 AM
Amy

I found another internet cafe in Paris: Cafe Orbital. The address: <BR>13 rue de Medicis in the 6th <BR>Metro: Odeon, RER: Luxembourg <BR>Hours: Mon-Sat 10am-11pm <BR>Sun 12-8pm <BR>Prices are 30F for 30 minutes <BR>Haven't been there yet- just found it through Yahoo <BR>Have fun!

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 07:04 AM
WH

Don't take this the wrong way, Harriet, because I understand that everyone has different interests. But...you're going to Paris! See the sights, go to the museums, enjoy the food and drink the wine (or mineral water, if you prefer). Walk (don't run) through the most beautiful city in the world! Check out the stock market and chat rooms when you get home. If it's just to e-mail people, spend your valuable time there collecting stories and photos to share with them when you get back. It can wait. Enjoy.

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 08:57 AM
Harriet

Merci everyone. <BR> <BR>WH, I agree with you completely, but in this case, I needed to get important information to 4 people in 3 coutries and 2 time zones. Not only was using the internet cheap, easy, convenient and efficient, I didn't have to deal with hotel phone charges, estimate time/costs to purchase a phone card, search for a phone booth and stand in the cold hollering, worry about time zones, missed messages or reaching busy signals and answering machines. It actually saved me time and money to enjoy more of Paris. It also provided me the opportunity to interact with some students as the cyber shop was a minute from my hotel and just across from La Sorbonne. <BR> <BR>I later passed up the "ease" of buying stamps from a machine in chat with a wonderful elderly woman (and her dog) in line at the post office. I also found the perfect gift for two comic collector friends when, during the course of our conversation, the clerk showed me an envelope/card set with bands dessins by famous French illustrators. <BR> <BR>Sometimes even the most tedious task can become a great adventure and opportunity to meet the locals!

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 11:30 AM
WH

Sounds like a good enough reason to (ugh) get in front of a computer on vacation. Have a great time.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 10:48 AM
topping

up up

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Betty

This site lists a bunch of internet cafes in Paris as well as other French cities. Got to it off Rick Steves' site. <BR>http://www.netcafeguide.com/countries/france3.html#PARI

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:33 PM
AGM/Cape Cod

Harriet- <BR> We used Ici & Click not a cafe but a internet room to send cyber postcards when we were in Paris in July. There are two locations (both in the 6th)- 12 rue de l'Eperon and 14 rue du Jardinet. It was 45ff for 1 hour. I had no problem with the keyboard so I guess they were the same as in the US.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 03:04 PM
bill

I'm not sure if I'm too out-of-the-loop on this one, but, Harriet (the original message poster) asked about the internet access information in Marvh 1999. <BR>I realize that those that responded today are just being helpful, but my question is - Is Harriet still preparing for her trip to Paris?

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Jean

I will be visiting Paris in September and was wondering if there was any internet cafes in the 1st arrondissement and the cost of this? I will be staying at Novotel Paris Les Halles. Thanks.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Carla

Try Cybercafes.com -- they have a good list for any city you care to name. <BR> <BR>Also, I've always found hotel desk clerks can direct you to the closest and best. <BR> <BR>In Paris I used one at Palais Royal, just a few doors up Boulevard St. Michel from the intersection with Boulevard Montparnasse, across B.St. Michel from the Luxembourg Gardens. <BR>It has an American keyboard, and was run by the nicest bunch of Algerians. <BR> <BR>My husband printed out my daily letters home, and now I have a great record of my trip.