Eastern Europe in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2023, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of making a trip to Eastern Europe in October. I have Budapest, Vienna, and Bratislava in mind. The dates I am looking at are Oct 15 to Oct 31.

I am a solo traveller, mid 30s male, and it's very important for me that I am able to meet other tourists that I can hang out with. Generally speaking, I have no problem approaching and striking a conversation with people.

Last two weeks work better for my work schedule, but I am now debating if I should pre-pone my trip by 2 weeks, i.e. Oct 01-Oct 15. Will that be better weather wise? Also, I am thinking since it's earlier in the year, there will be more tourists, so more chances of meeting people. Any thoughts?

I know it's only a difference of 2 weeks, and I am over-thinking this, but any input would be appreciated. Also, I would be happy to hear where else I can go besides the three cities I've mentioned above. I have already been to Prague and Wrocław. How about Ljubljana and Zagreb?

Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 09:19 AM

Interesting you want to meet tourists rather than locals. Probably your best bet would be staying in hostels for that purpose since they tend to be more community oriented, or perhaps a B&B (not AirB&B or Vrbo). Budapest and Vienna get tourists year round, so you should be fine no matter what if this is your goal to meet tourists. One suggestion: consider Bratislava as a day trip from Vienna. But if you want to stay in town (I did), it does not need more than 2 nights, imho.

One nitpick: the areas you are going, geographically is Central Europe. Yes, Budapest and Bratislava were former East Bloc cities, but that was over 30 years ago.
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 12:14 PM

Are you from the UK or outside of Europe? Because in most Continential European places I've visited in Europe locals aren't that open to befriending tourists. Their thinking is tourists wouldn't be long enough there so why bother. Especially in Central Europe. People in the cities you mentioned are notoriously hard to befriend, I've lived in two of them and visited Vienna.
I repeat the sugestion for hostels, any other place might strike fellow tourists as a bit pushy or creepy even.
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by tanek
Are you from the UK or outside of Europe? Because in most Continential European places I've visited in Europe locals aren't that open to befriending tourists. Their thinking is tourists wouldn't be long enough there so why bother. Especially in Central Europe. People in the cities you mentioned are notoriously hard to befriend, I've lived in two of them and visited Vienna.
I repeat the sugestion for hostels, any other place might strike fellow tourists as a bit pushy or creepy even.
Unless I misunderstood the OPs post, he stated he wants to meet other ​​​​tourists.
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Yupe... just looking to meet other tourists, so that I have someone to hang out with. Usually I go on a walk tour in the morning, make friends there, and hang out with them for the rest of the day. I've also met tourists at restaurants and bars. Happy to talk to locals if the opportunity presents itself.

Anyway, I hope last two weeks of Oct isn't that bad in terms of other people visiting.
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
Interesting you want to meet tourists rather than locals. Probably your best bet would be staying in hostels for that purpose since they tend to be more community oriented, or perhaps a B&B (not AirB&B or Vrbo). Budapest and Vienna get tourists year round, so you should be fine no matter what if this is your goal to meet tourists. One suggestion: consider Bratislava as a day trip from Vienna. But if you want to stay in town (I did), it does not need more than 2 nights, imho.

One nitpick: the areas you are going, geographically is Central Europe. Yes, Budapest and Bratislava were former East Bloc cities, but that was over 30 years ago.
Thank you!