Eastern Europe

Mar 10th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Eastern Europe

We are in the process of planning a trip to Eastern Europe in July. We are thinking 3-4 weeks and would like to start in Greece and end up in Germany. What is the best way to get from place to place (car, train, plane or combination of the three?

Can you recommend hotels and restaurants we typically like high-end places (I write travel reviews for http://www.bombasticlife.com) and am not opposed to changing hotels every day or every other day as I want to get experience as much as I can so I have more to review.

Thanks in advance - Andrew at bombasticLife

Mar 10th, 2007, 04:33 AM

I have recently been to the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria. In Salzburg, we stayed at the Goldener Hirsch, lovely hotel and wonderful city. In Czech Republic, a trip to Cesky Krumlov is worth the extra time. We stayed in a fabulous hotel there and loved it! We drove everywhere but obviously didn't travel as far as you are.
Mar 10th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Hi, bombastic- lucky you!

the first thing I would check is the cost of returning a car rented in greece to Germany - it could be quite high.

to suggest places in between we need more info - are you interested in art, culture, walking, scenery? how many of you are there?

are you fixed on the greece-germany route, or would you consider other ideas? [and why did you pick those - Greece is not an obvious starting point for a trip round eastern europe!]

One idea - how about starting in Berlin [or even just starting there?] you could have 3-4 nights there, followed by Dresden, Prague, etc. etc. and ending in Munich?

Do you realise that central/eastern europe has a continental climate and could be quite hot in July?

regards, ann
Mar 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM
ira

Hi B,

Assuming a week in Greece and a week in Germany, where in Eastern Europe interests you - Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Rumania, Bulgaria, Molvania....?

Mar 12th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

OK, change in plans. We are going to start in Germany. We have a friend that lives there so she will give us all the "must sees".

We have four weeks and will spend the last 3-5 days in Greece (celebrating our anniversary).

In between Germany and Greece (which we will probably fly to) what should we do?

We love scenary, good dining, luxury and boutique hotels (we've been known to go some where just to check out the hotel). We do not like "touristy" places but perfer to see how the locals live. We spent a few weeks last year in the Tuscanny region of Italy and Southern Frace and love the country-side and the slower pace of life.

Of course we love the water and beaches too. We typically rent a boat for a day when we are seaside and just spend the day crusing along and seeing the country from the water.

This help give you and idea of what we are interested in? Any tips on how we can make this a bombastic trip!?

Andrew
http://www.bombasticlife.com
Mar 13th, 2007, 06:23 AM

No criticism here, just wondering how a travel editor (I know, you only write hotel reviews, but still...) holds a job when you don't know where to travel, or how to look up "high-end" hotels? Are you self-employed?
Mar 13th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Number one - I never said I was a travel editor. Number two - yes, I am self employed Number three - I do know how to look up "high end" hotels on the net. Finally, I am not ashamed to say I am not familiar with Eastern Europe and I find that one of the best ways to find out about the "hidden" places and non-touristy places is to ask people. And when I don't know something I ask, that is how one learns.

Thanks for your input.