Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Easter in Italy w/14 yr old please critique our plan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each year at Easter break we take a niece or nephew overseas. We have 7 in all and this is our 4th trip. For 2006 it will be our 14 year old niece. I give this as background info because these trips are not the type of trips my DH and I would take. In Italy we would be in the small towns of Tuscany driving from place to place and winging it. Eating, drinking and soaking in the local culture.

Many Fodorites in the past years have been extremely helpful for our trips to England, Spain, France, the Czech Republic and Austria. Ira, Rex, Elaine and many others. I have also read many recent trip reports on this site, Susan P, and the long report from the group of 8 from Detroit (sorry I don't recall the name right now) and many others.

This is the plan so far. We are from Cleveland, OH and our options are not always the best flight wise.

Our flights are done, into Venice out of Rome and our hotels are booked. Because we want 3 to a room and we don't want to break the bank just to sleep, our options are sometimes limited. I have to keep an eye on my 14 year old niece and those nice Italian boys.

Venice 2 nights, Thurs, Fri
Florence 4 nights, Sat, Easter, Monday, Tues
Rome 3 nights Wed, Thurs, Fri

Train from Venice to Florence and then Florence to Rome. No train reservations made yet and I am still trying to figure out the schedules. My concern for the train is the holiday weekend going from Venice to Florence. I am reluctant to wait until in Italy to make these reservations as I do not want to be shut out. Any comments on this?

Venice arrive about noon on Thursday, nothing planned other than to check in, look around the St Marks Square. Friday, take the Secret Itineraries tour and possibly another tour of the general area. My niece HAS to ride a gondola. Should I wait until I arrive to book the Secret Itineraries Tour?

Sat leave for Florence. Now here is my dilemma. What time to leave Venice. I think it is about 3 hours to Florence so I thought we should leave around 9 am. I know this is not enough time in Venice and I suppose we could change the time but I do not want to arrive in Florence too late. How much time should I allow by Vaparetto to train station? Do the Vaparettos run in the early AM. This arrival and departure by Vaparetto has me a bit ruffled. Everyone so far makes it seem simple. We are seasoned travelers but for some reason this just is confusing to me.

While in Florence here is the plan. All day tour including a general tour, the Uffizi and the David. Half day to Pisa ( a must according to my niece, and a day in the country side to visit a winery, make pasta and eat it. This is through Accidental Tourist. Can we do Pisa by bus/train conveniently? Also, I don't think we need a guide in Pisa, any suggestions?

So, what day do we do each of these. We have 1/2 day Sat, Easter, Monday and Tuesday. Monday I assume the museums are closed, what about Easter, will they also be closed? My tentative plan is Sat, check in and look around, Easter - Mass somewhere and then Pisa, Monday the countryside, and Tuesday all day tour. If I can split up the tour I would like to do some of it when we arrive on Sat, depending upon when we arrive. Suggestions?

Wed we leave for Rome for 3 nights. The plan in Rome is the Scavi tour, tour the Vatican/St Peter's and Sistine chapel. Then Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain.

While my niece does not mind museums I think after the Vatican she may be tired of museums so I am omitting the Borghese for now. I have not heard from the Scavi Tour yet so my Rome touring revolves around the time I receive from Scavi.

Out last dilemma is our final night in Rome. We have a 6am flight out of Rome I have not booked our final night as I think we should stay near the airport but the Hilton is 320 euros which is way out of our price range. I don't know if we can rely on a cab in the morning from out hotel, Bellasuite Rome, to get to the airport on time? Suggestions on transportation to airport?

Questions: We like small tour groups or personal guides. We do a lot on our own but like a guide to give us the overall info, personal information about culture, etc. Any suggestions for these 3 cities?

Restaurants, local wine, classical music venues and olive oil brand recommendations are also appreciated.

This is long and I do appreciate any and all suggestions.

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Since you only have 1 full day in Venice, I would simply add at least one day from Florence. I feel the best arrangement would be to eliminate Florence and add 2 nights to Venice and Rome.

By visiting only 2 cities, you will be able to really "see" these places and not take a "shot gun approach". Have a nice trip!! Mike

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM
cmt

On the other hand, you could eliminate Rome and add days to Venice and Florence. When I was 16, I loved Florence and Venice, and was less enamored with Rome (although I was in awe of its history and treasures).

When not check the train schedules intead of trying to choose your departure times in a vacuum. I thought the vaporetto schedule was pretty frequent, and it didn't take too long to get to the train station, but it does depend on where your hotel is.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 05:30 PM

CMT, you missed the part of the thread "where their flights are done", into Venice and out of Rome. Mike
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM
cmt

You're right. I did.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:46 AM
ira

Hi S,

As much as I like Florence, I like Venice even more. I would take away a day from Florence.

You can purchase your train tickets as early as 60 days in advance at www.trenitalia.com.

Vaporetto routes and schedules are at http://www.actv.it/

Secret Itineraries tour of Doge’s palace Phone number is 011 39 041 520 9070. English-speaking operator.

You will not be charged for your tickets if you don't go on the tour.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

I suggest staying in Rome the night before you leave. Your hotel can arrange for a taxi to call for you in the very early AM. You won't have traffic problems at 04:00.

You will find this thread helpful.
Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Ira, thank you, as always you provide specific and helpful information.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Ira, perhaps we will take a late train to Florence so we have a full day on Saturday. In your opinion, should I make this train reservation in advance because of the holiday weekend?

Is it possible to change your ticket in Italy if we decide on a different train time?
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Hi Sylvia,

I also highly recommend taking a day from Florence and adding it to Venice. Your first, jet-lagged 1/2 day doesn't even count.

Since you will be in Italy during a very busy week, know in advance these cities and major sites will be very crowded. Definitely make all your train reservations in advance - EU trains with a seat reservation.

Don't skip the Borghese, your niece and you may very well enjoy it more than the Vatican museums! It's only a max of a 2 hour visit anyway and the lovely Borghese Gardens are just outside for strolling before or after!

Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Hi Sylvia--
Since hotels are already booked, I would take a later train from Venice to Florence. I don't think you want to take a night off of Florence, to add to Venice, as you would then arrive in Florence on Easter Sunday (if I see your itinerary correctly...). However, I would consider dropping a night in Florence and adding it to Rome.

Do be sure to attend the the Easter celebration outside the Duomo Easter morning. I would think your niece would like that! You should be able to take the bus to Pisa w/o a tour guide.

We used Enjoy Rome for a tour of the Colliseum/Forum. I believe they limit their groups to 10 people.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:20 PM

I think your plan sounds like a wonderful trip. Yes, in a perfect world you would have more time at each location, but you will have a great trip.

I think you can manage the Pisa trip on your own (I did it years ago by train and it seemed fairly simple but I'm afraid the details escape me.) I would recommend making advance reservations via the internet for tickets to climb the tower so you can get a convenient time. (opapisa.it) Be sure to allow plenty of time to get to the tower. Once there (unless things have changed since 2003,) also allow for time in the ticket line to pick up the actual tickets, and time to check in your purses (in another building on the opposite end of the courtyard.) We barely made it in time!

I'm sorry not to know the details about the train times from Venice. Having a reservation sounds like a good idea to me. I think the suggestion of allowing part of that day for Venice is a good one.

Also, the Secret Itinerary tours were all booked when we tried to take one (mid-July). If the tour is important to you, I would probably also try to reserve it. We did pre-book a tour of St. Mark's Cathedral which saved us waiting in a fairly good line. I forget the website, but am sure you can find it by doing a search here. Be sure to climb up to where the 4 horses are and stand out on the balcony of the church overlooking the square -- you'll get a wonderful view.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 03:44 AM

another weigh in...I went to Italy last year (this week a year ago) with my then 14 year old daughter. This was her second time. We stayed in Rome with a friend and took a day trip to Florence. My daughter loves Rome...shopping, Trastevere, Campo Fiori market, and she loved the Borghese Museum and Gardens. She also loved the Uffizi and has been there twice- requesting to go again the second time. However, based on our first trip to Italy, and as others have said, I think that Venice is a unique experience for a teen and a longer stay there would be better than Florence. I've also been to Florence during Easter and it can be cold and damp (because of it's location it can be drearier than other locals). I think that Rome offers a lot to kids. Hanging out at the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Colloseum and Forum, and the Vatican. The Vatican Museum can be overwhelming- my daughter found that too crowded and less enjoyable. Also- a few years back I booked a bus tour to Pisa through American Express before I left. That shouldn't be too difficult. For that trip I also did all my train reservations prior to leaving- first class Eurostar. However, last year, I took second class Eurostar to Florence from Rome and it was just fine for the short trip. Lastly, I'd stay at the airport the last night for a flight that early.
Have a great trip.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:06 AM

one more thing in Rome that kids might find interesting is the Capucine Church on Via Veneto- the "skeletons" that decorate the lower level is truly a sight to be seen. You can plan a visit there while walking to Villa Borghese.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:27 AM

I would also drop Florence; or if you must squeeze it in, make it 2 nights/1 day there.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:43 AM

In Rome, take her to Ostia. If she's had any ancient history at all she will be enthralled! It's an easy day trip from Rome and not as overwhelming as Pompeii.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, it looks like the consensus is to stay longer in Venice. I think we will take a later train out. My next step is to check to schedules.

kswl What is in Ostia exactly? I remember reading something about it but cannot locate the material. Should we take a tour or do it ourselves?
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sylvia, we did a very similar trip with our two daughters (14 & 17) last Easter. We did 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Venice, 3 nights in Florence & then 1 in Orvieto on the way back to the Rome airport. We're fairly certain that we saw the Accademia on Easter Sunday. We also joined the crowd at the Duomo in the morning, but it was extremely crowded and we did not get to see much.

Your plan sounds good to me and covers most everything that my girls enjoyed. Do a search on "teen perspective" and you will find the trip report my 14-year old wrote for her friends when we got back. It is pretty fun to read especially since you are traveling with your niece.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Sylvia

What a very nice thing to do! I have a friend that took his neices on trips before his own grandchildren were born. Since I may not have grandchildren, I sometimes daydream about taking my godchildren to Europe when they are teens. Good for you.

Now, as you can tell, everyone has their favorite cities in Italy, and we all want you to change your trip to suit us. ;-) If you want my two cents worth, I say stick to your own plans. You know what you, your husband and your neice will like and what is important to each of you.

I do think it would be easy to arrive in Florence a little later in the day. Check the schedules at trenitalia.com, but don't worry about getting your tickets until you arrive in Venice. You can buy them at any travel agency featuring the Trenitalia logo at no charge. They should not be sold out a day or two in advance.

I like the idea of arriving in Florence a little later because it is an easy town to navigate; it is lively in the evening; and if you get there before the Accademia closes, you can pay an uncrowded evening visit to David. Plus you might enjoy an extra morning in Venice.

Pisa is very easy to get to from Florence by train. It is a breeze. You can get the tickets in Florence, at a TA or at the station when you arrive. From the main station in Pisa to the Campo it is a bit of hike, but you can get a taxi if time is short. You won't need a guide. See everything at the Campo dei Miracoli: you can get a combo ticket. I suggest avoiding the secondary station in Pisa which is much nearer the Campo but is in a dicey area frequented by drug addicts.

My daughter loved all three cities as a teen, but Venice and Florence were her favorites. She loved shopping in Florence!

Again, I think what you do for your neices and nephews is fabulous.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Suki Thanks for the feedback and I will do a search for the teen perspective

tuscanlifeedit: We started this because it does not appear that we will have grandchildren from our own 2 kids.

It started with England a few years ago and my then 13 year old nephew. He was a big Harry Potter fan and I read in the newpaper how England had this influx of visitors all looking for Harry Potter. The trip was last minute and it went great, although I kept trying to get into the car on the wrong side. With all the castles my nephew had a blast as did we. It is different seeing it through the eyes of uninhibited youth.

We took his brother to Spain the following year, and he translated for us which was interesting.

This year it was Austria and Czech Republic with my niece.

They now all have the travel bug. The first nephew will be going to France next year, the other nephew went back to Spain this year and will be going to Europe for 2 months in the summer as a camp counselor on an army base all expenses paid.

So the trips are worth it in every sense. We have traveled extensively but these trips are very special. I highly recommend doing it if you have the resources, you won't be sorry.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Unless your niece is some sort of a Renaissance groupie, Florence will probably be a huge bore for her.

Rome has much more than Florence in terms of variety and the sheer volume of world-class sights--including great Renaissance art and architecture. Plus much more variety in cuisine. And Venice has much more interesting architecture and art--including a goodly portion of Renaissance sights, but also including much more variety.

With only 9 nights, and based on our experiences in Italy with teenagers, I'd make it:

Venice--noon Thursday to noon Sunday. Train or drive to Florence Sunday afternoon--a pleasant trip through the countryside on a quiet day.

Florence--Sunday evening to Tuesday mid-morning; with a daytrip to Pisa on Monday.

Rome--Tuesday afternoon or evening until departure.

Not being Renaissance nuts, we quickly tired of Florence. I've had to go to Florence several times for reasons not in my control, and I've never warmed to the place. The major sights are jammed into a relatively small area making the tourist crush unpleasant. Traffic, air pollution, noise, crowds are the most memorable features of Florence. Of course, if one is a huge fan of Renaissance art and architecture, then all this can probably be overlooked.

At least you won't have to deal with the murderous heat in March--Florence is infamous for not only being very hot in the summer, but, unlike most of the rest of Tuscany, it is noted for having relatively high humidity due to its position in the river valley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -