Reload this Page >

Easter in Germany

Search

Easter in Germany

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Russ

Easter in Germany

Planning a trip to the Bavaria area next year, arriving the day after Easter. Should we move it up a week to avoid the crowds or is this a non-issue? Staying in Fussen, avoiding the big cities.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:29 AM
Judy

Russ:<BR>Easter is always a three day holiday in Germany: Good Friday and Easter Monday are full-closed-down-nothing-open holidays. The germans are avid vacationers and many will be taking the long weekend (possibly in conjunction with school vacations, which vary from area to area) to go away that weekend. Roads can be very crowded, Fussen is near the Ludwig castles, so crowds will be an issue, but not so much as in very high season (July/Aug).<BR> <BR>My recommendation would be to go,not worry about crowds, but book a hotel in advance to avoid being shut out or forced into a long search for available hotel rooms the first day you are there. Jet lag does nothing for patience and decision making....also stores, banks etc. will be shut tight but most cafes and restaurants will be open. ATM machines, thank goodness, work 24/7.<BR><BR>Hope this is a start to your vacations plans. If you need any other info, just add to this posting and I will do what I can. I am, as they say on German TV "Live am Ort"...coming to you live from the scene.<BR><BR>Judy from Munster, Germany

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:53 AM
Russ

Judy,<BR>Thank you for the reply. Actually the Monday after will be our train travel day from Paris. It sounds as if the week after should be o.k. for us. Exploring the area Tuesday - Friday. How far is the drive into the eastern side of the Black Forest area? Will definitely have hotel reservations made.

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:24 AM
Judy

Russ:<BR>Easter monday is also a holiday in France, as indeed all of Europe. Be sure to have seat reservations as well as the train tickets. It will be a big travel day.<BR><BR>The question about drive times is unclear to me...do you mean from Fussen to, say, the Austrian border. Where are you aiming for??? <BR><BR>Judy<BR><BR>

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:31 AM
Russ

More or less day-tripping around the Bavarian area. Schwangau, Rothenburg, castles, Alps, etc. Not sure if the Black Forest area of Germany is too far. Hope to go into Austria if time allows. How far is Innsbrook? Thanks