Easter Break in St Ives

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter Break in St Ives

We are a groups of four friends (two couples) who are planning to be in St Ives for 3 nights during the Easter break.

We have finally booked our apartment:
http://www.aspects-holidays.co.uk/co...ents-sealights

We will be taking the early morning train from London to St Ives and plan to use the public transport there.

I would really appreciate help with the itinerary, bus routes/ timings and a few restaurant suggestions.

We do not want to rush from one place to another. We would like to do at least one/ couple of great walks. Spend a day on the beach/ St Ives and catch a play at Minack Theatre. We are fairly active and wouldn't mind walking 5-6 hours in a day.

This is what we have planned...however are completely open to suggestions:

6th April: Reach St Ives in the afternoon (1:45). Take the train from St Ives to Lelant Saltings. Should we take the train one way and walk back the other. Is the walk worth doing?

We read somewhere that the walk from St Ives to Carbis Bay is also quite nice...we could do that as well. We would then like to explore the town a bit...and just have some cream tea.

Could you please suggest some good places for tea/ coffee and also a good place for dinner. We wouldn't want to spend more than 30 pounds/ couple...without drinks. Three of us are vegetarians.

7th April: We were thinking of walking from Senen to Land's end...spend a bit of time there...then go to Mousehole...

Or we could do the walk between Land's end to Porthocurno ...and catch a play at 8:00 in the night.

I am a little confused about the logistics...how would it work best? Where should we go from St Ives...and where do we start the walk. We need to be at Minack theatre by 7:00pm. Would we get a bus/ train to St Ives after the show?

Then there is the Lizard peninsula with beautiful villages like Mullion, Coverack and Cadgwith, plus Lizard Point itself...can we do all this is one day or are we trying to cram too much in here. That is what we feel...but don't know how to work it out.

Should we instead do something on the very first day? We would be well rested...as we plan to sleep on the train (by and large).

8th April: Be in St Ives...on the beach...walking around...

9th April: St Thomas Mount...is the visit to the castle a must...it does look lovely. We plan to leave around 3-4 from St Ives for London...we have an open ticket.

Please help us in getting some order to this itinerary...also please do suggest good and inexpensive places for breakfast/ lunch /dinner. We would mind spending a bit more for a couple of special meals. We have the link to the bus timings etc. However if you could please suggest where to go first and how to get there...then we can figure out the exact timings.

This forum has always been immensely helpful for us...I am sure we would get some great ideas again.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry...just noticed the typo...we are a group of 4 adults...not groups...I am sorry
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:51 AM

Quick bit of advice for you - Minack theatre, a breathtaking backdrop for a theatre, but you are perched on the edge of a cliff facing the Atlantic and it is FREEZING at night even in high summer, let alone April.

Not trying to put you off going but the warnings you see about how cold it gets just don't make the point strongly enough. Take serious clothing plus a good blanket/duvet to hide under. I went one August and we'd been warned and took a small fleece car blanket thing as we hadn't taken the message on properly - we looked at those turning up with hats, scarves, gloves, duvets, sleeping bags, waterproof covers, tarpaulins etc like they were mad. But they were right. I'd say nearly half the audience gave up and left before it finished, my OH gave up at the interval and sat in the car, I stuck it out hiding right under the little blanket with just one eyehole to watch the play but I was shaking with cold. We were being hit by sea spray. The wind was awful. And this was part of a beautiful sunny time overall. So be prepared. Oh, and people take picnics with them to eat just before the performance
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the warning Nona...I am sure we would have been under prepared...if not for what you have written here. However reading it makes me wonder if it really is worth it...is it?

Also any other suggestions on what we plabn to do tehre and how do we go about it...please help...we are a little lost!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone...could someone please help arrange our itinerary...though by the look of the weather today...it seems like we would need ample recommendations for cafes and pubs !!
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

I am just topping it up to get help...we leave in couple of days...seems like everyone is gone for their Easter break!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:37 AM

It's unlikely anyone's going to plan this for you, as you're asking for a lot of judgemental detail without seeming to have done much research for yourselves.

It'd help you if you checked your outward train journey, for example. There's no train from Paddington to St Ives: you have to change at St Erth. The train you then get hugs the river and the sea coast to St Ives, passing through Lelant Saltings and Carbis Bay stations - so you'll be in a far better position to decide the answers to your question about walks after looking at the beaches on the right of the train, which constitute pretty much the route of any walk (the overland alternative is mostly across a prettyish golf course and - at least to us - downright dull, and bizarrely suburban, ordinary road).

If you're not used to lengthy beach walking, you'll find it can - especially if the tide's only just gone out - be extraordinarily more tiring than the same distance on grass. Only you know how up to any of these walks your party is likely to be. The St Erth to St Ives train isn't that frequent, it's erratic in what stations each one stops at, and almost none stop at Lelant on Sundays(they stop more often at Lelant Saltings, though personally I think the shore walk in the St Ives-St Erth direction gets boring after Lelant), but once you understand the timetable, you can easily walk from St Ives till you get tired, then get the train back from the nearest station.

I've no idea what you're planning to do on St Ives beach. But in early April the beach is unlikely to be much fun. I'm puzzled your plans exclude the Tate: I thought the Fujiwara exhibition was stunning (though you DO need to research it a bit, since the homoerotic references might upset some people, though I thought they were obscure enough you'd probably only get them if you weren't going to be offended). There's a fair amount of other cultural stuff, especially the Hepworth Sculpture Garden around the town - which is very veg-friendly, but undistinguished in its cooking.

Have YOU checked public transport back from the Minack?

The forecast is currently for little rain and slightly higher temperatures than usual for the time of year.