Search

Early October Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early October Road Trip

Hello All,

We are planning a circular road trip through Norway countryside at the end of September first week of October, beginning and ending in Gothenberg, Sweden. Our goal is to see the spectacular countryside by car, so trying to fit in as many scenic drives as possible weather permitting obviously. Here is the rough plan I have sketched out, would love any input on our plan from folks who have experience in the area.

Friday 9-28
Depart Gothenberg @2PM drive to Sundvolden Hotel (332 km)

Saturday 9-29
Drive to Aurland/Flam area via 7 and 50 (261km)
Depending on time and weather consider late afternoon Flam Train to Myrdal and back
OR
Possibly drive tunnel to Lærdal and Aurlandsfjellet scenic road back to Aurland
Stay: Aurland in Vangsgaarden Gjestgiveri

Sunday 9-30
AM: Flam train or tunnel to Lærdal and then back to Aurland via Aurlandsfjellet scenic road if we don't do day before.
Take 12:00 Ferry from Gudvangen to Kaupanger (last day of season!) and on to Fjærland.
Stay: Fjaerland Fjordstove

Monday 10-1
Fjaerland to Balestrand via 5 and Gaularfjellet scenic road. (145km)
Stay: Balestrand or Voss?
Considering pushing further this day and perhaps staying in Voss to shorten following day's drive to Bergen

Tuesday 10-2
AM: Balestrand or Voss to Bergen either via Rv13 and E16 (186km)
PM: Tour Bergen/Stay in Bergen
Stay: Bergen Bors Hotel

Wednesday 10-3
AM Enjoy Bergen
PM 13:00 ferry to Denmark via Stavenger to Hirtshals Denmark
Stay: Overnight ferry

Thursday 10-4
AM Arrive Hirtshals, quick exploration of Norther Jutland - Skagen
PM Ferry from Frederikshavn to Gothenburg.

How does this loop sound overall, any big misses? We have yet to pick a hotel in Balestrand, and I am actually wondering if we should push farther that day towards Bergen to shorten the drive to Bergen the next day, perhaps over to Voss, does that seem like a better plan?

I think to make the daylight ferry from Gudvangen to Kaupanger at 12:00 we may be forced to choose between the Flam train to Myrdal or the Aurlandsfjellet scenic road. My sense is to do the drive vs the train if we had to choose, as I think we would have to take the very first train and return immediately on the next train down in order to make ferry at Gundangen at 12:00? Feels rushed...Alternatively we can try to make a late afternoon train the day before if we make good time from Sundoloven.

Would welcome any additional thoughts on this plan as we try to finalize. Thank in advance!

Last edited by gscottblack; Aug 28th, 2018 at 03:10 PM.