Reload this Page >

EARLY FLIGHT FROM AMSTERDAM AIRPORT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 02:21 PM
TERRY

I'm arriving 8 pm on a flight from Paris and flying out @ 7am. Am I forced to get a $$ airport hotel for those few hours? Alternatives?? Thanks.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 03:16 PM
Al

In some ways, we had a similar problem, coming to Schipol from Utrecht to catch a 7 a.m. flight. We decided to stay at the airport's Ibis hotel for around $78 rather than fight the a.m. traffic; our TA did the booking. The hotel provides free transport to and from Schipol.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 11:10 PM
Craig

Terry, <BR>If you don't mind waking up at "golf time" you can get to Schiphol by 5:00 with no problem from Amsterdam Centraal. A train leaves Centraal station at 4:44 and arrives in Sciphol at 4:58. The next train (contingency-train) leaves at 5:35 and arrives in Schiphol at 5:52 (close shave, but most majors aren't that busy at this hour and you can get from the train platform to your departure gate in Schiphol in under 45mins -- I have). <BR>If you get a hostel or similar place nearby the station you could get a few good hours sleep or have a "crash" after a nice evening out in the city (2 alarms + a wake-up call if you've been drinking!). I assume you will be travelling from the airport into town anyway, so the train ticket is inconsequetial. <BR>I would suggest that you check your stowwed luggage the night before your flight. Barring this, put it in a locker at the airport -- this will save lugging it to and from A'dam. <BR>Just heard from a friend about a place they stayed in in Amsterdam recently, I'll get the name and post it for you with #s. <BR> <BR>Here's a couple of places I've stayed in that are close to the station: <BR>Old Nickel -- +31(0)20.6241912 -- (@$60/double) -- Niemuebrugsteeg 11, behind Karl's Kerk (I think's the name) across from the station. <BR>International Student Center -- +31(0)20.6251364 -- (same$) -- Keisersgracht 15-17 -- Slightly more of a hike from the station, but doable. <BR> <BR>Bring some guilders as I think these smaller places don't do plastic. <BR> <BR>The Dutch rail web page is: <BR>http://www.ns.nl/ <BR>Click on "Reisinfo" and then you can get the page to toggle to English. <BR> <BR>Try to call the hotels between breakfast/check-out and lunch times (@10:30) our time to get the best service. That is about 4:30 a.m. on the East Coast. If the are full on the night you need ask for others in the area -- they scratch each other's back. <BR> <BR>Feel free to email me direct with any other questions. <BR> <BR>-Craig <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 08:15 PM
terry

Thanks to Al and Craig for the info. Terry.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 08:23 PM
John

Terry, I'll second Al's recommendation (I guess it's a recommendation) of the Schiphol Ibis. We've stayed there a couple of times and found it quite acceptable. Great dawn's early light buffet breakfast full of other oh-dark-thrity travelers, by the way.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 01:29 PM
terry

FYI everybody- that Ibis lavish buffet looks great, but begins @ 6am, (drats!) coffee and rolls are available, 'tho. Also, early dep. will require a cab ($15-20.) But hey-- I'm glad to be staying there.