Reload this Page >

Early Dinner Suggestions

Search

Early Dinner Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 05:29 AM
Lee

Early Dinner Suggestions

Am leaving for my first trip to Rome in one week. I do not want to eat late the day I arrive. (I would like to be in bed by about 8:30 p.m.) I have heard everyone eats late dinners there. Anyone have a restaurant or other suggestion for an early dinner day of arrival?

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 05:39 AM
Ann

Whenever we are travelling and want to eat at "unsocial" hours we head for an airport (or port) hotel where they are used to people wanting to eat at odd times. You are right about people eating late in Itlay - even later than the French but not as late as Spanish.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:26 AM
elaine

Lee <BR>I am planning my own trip but have read that many of the cafes serving pizza and other casual food open early, many are open for a good part of the day. <BR>The following have been recommended on this forum, in the book Cheap Eats In Italy, and in other sources <BR>Fiammetta, via G Zanardelli (near Piazza Navona next to the Genio Hotel) opens for dinner 7pm. <BR>closed Wed <BR> <BR>Da Francesco, Piazza Del Fico 29 (near Piazza Navona, opens 7pm <BR>no reservations, no credit cards <BR>closed Tues <BR> <BR>Caffe di Poppea, via dei Chiavari 62. Friendly atmosphere, limited selection of food, mostly appetizers, pizza, and one or two specials. Offers a view, through glass in the floor, of ancient theater walls. Open evenings 7pm to 2am <BR> <BR>Da Vittorio, via di San Cosimato 14A, tel 06 58 00353, in Trastevere.Fun place with outdoor tables in good weather. travelocity.com says "this pizza is the real thing". Young crowd. Opt for an outdoor table, indoors is cramped. Choices are almost exclusively pizza and pasta. Open Mon-Sat 6:30 to midnight. No reservations accepted

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:07 AM
Shanna

Lee, my last trip to Rome, we ate whenever we wanted, always an early dinner. Hey, we'd been working up an appetite all day long treking around that city and just couldn't wait til late. We had the restaurants pretty much to ourselves, although we noticed that family was eating when we were, possibly to be free to serve later. But we were always seated and served without a problem. We also had snacks for later if we stayed up late and didn't want to go out. Our last evening we ate early, then purchased a chilled bottle of asti spumanti and had that in our room while we packed up and got to bed early. You won't have any trouble, the Romans aren't snobbish - I once had an early dinner date at the Grand Hotel, years ago, with no peculiar looks and we had the very attentive wait staff all to ourselves. You will have such a wonderful time, I envy you. And smart move to get to bed early that first night. You'll be recharged the next day. Have fun!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:46 AM
Ed

Most restaurants are now open by 7pm, virtually all by 7:30. You won't find many other diners, but you probably won't be alone.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:01 PM
kam

Trattoria Mezzaluna just off the V.Trastevere in the Trastevere neighborhood (which you'll want to see anyway) opens at 6 pm. It's actually good to go early as it becomes packed later in the evening. Have the spaghetti carbonara--a Rome tradition. Trattoria Pasqualino near the Colosseum opens at 7pm. An alternative is to just go walking in the streets near your hotel in the afternoon. Menus are posted and you'll be able to ask when they open for dinner. We usually get so terribly hungry from the walking all day that we can't make it past about 8:30, but Romans wait much longer.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 12:47 PM
mauld

I too will be looking for an 'early' dinner, so thanks all for the suggestions. As a woman travelling alone, the placeds mentioned seemed ideal. I hate the thought of just going back to my room (abit at the LC Grand) and ordering expensive room service while I'm in the "Eternal City"!!