Search

Early A.M. Arrival in Faro - what to do until my room is ready

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early A.M. Arrival in Faro - what to do until my room is ready

Hi Folks:

I am flying into Faro on Air Transat for the start of my Portugal/Spain trip, arriving at 6:15 in the morning. My room will not be ready for at least 5 hours. What do you do with your time? My other option is to fly into Lisbon, arriving at 8:35 a.m., however, it means staying on the plane for an extra 2 hours or so. As my youth is well behind me, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM

You may be pleasantly surprised and be given a room quickly. Or, go take a stroll, have a nice morning breakfast somewhere after you leave your luggage at the concierge. If the hotel is not busy, I have been rewarded with a room before 9 a.m many times.

I wouldn't take a less desirable flight just to get into the town a few hours later.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, lincasanova. We have a 7-hr. + flight and then a drive to Tavira where we could start our trip. Our concern involves jet lag. Combined with driving on unfamiliar roads and what appears to be a late check-in at Herdade da Corte, we're not sure if spending the extra 2 hr. on the flight to Lisbon and starting our trip from there instead of in the Algarve is the more convenient way to do it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 02:15 AM

Didn't know about the drive.. which airport has better/closer road connections to your destination?

Although, sitting on a plane for two hours may be more tiring than driving for one!

If the hotel has a spa or gym or pool you are welcome to use the facilities usually while waiting for your room.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

We can do our trip two ways: 1. Lisbon/Evora/Tavira/Seville/ (and areas in-between)/returning from Lisbon; 2. Tavira/and in reverse, home from Lisbon.

To arrive in Lisbon means 2+ hr. more on the plane as it lands in Faro first then goes on to Lisbon; to land and stay in the south first means getting in @ 0615 with no place to go until much later in the day. This latter scenario might not sound like a big deal, however, one of us has a disability, although not severe.

Just trying to ameliorate what will be a long day for us.
Many thanks for your help.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM

My wife ahd I are doing much the same trip except that we are going to Albufeira from Faro. It is my experience that hotels will put your luggage in a room until your room is ready. You can go for a coffee or have breakfast somewhere to pass the time and then just sit in the Foyer until the room is ready. By the time you get off the plane, pick up your transportation to Tavira and then get to Tavira, it will be close to 9.00am and your room could well be ready. If not, sit by the pool and doze.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

almcd: I really like the "sit by the pool and doze" part as lincasanova, too, has suggested. I suspect we'll have to work on this a little more, though. Enjoy your trip!