Reload this Page >

Eagle Creek "luggage"

Search

Eagle Creek "luggage"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 11:57 AM
Elsa

Eagle Creek "luggage"

Has anyone ever used the Eagle Creek Switchback Plus as a carry on? I don't think it meets the airline specifications, but I've seen many suitcases get by as carry ons that wouldn't fit into that small "box" that is near the departure gate that they use to measure your carry ons. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 11:16 AM
Marilyn Ham

I've used the 22" Eagle Creek Switchback Plus on our last trip to Italy. With the backpack off (as your second item) it will make the airline requirements. I usually leave it on, if I'm questioned I remove it and carry the small backpack. BY the end of the trip I had so much in it that I had to unzip the small backpack off to get it in the airline bin. Marilyn

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Elsa

Thanks, Marilyn, for the suggestion to unzip the smaller backpack and take it as the 2nd carry on. We are also going to Italy, and I'm hoping I can fit LOTS of ceramics in it on the way home. A friend suggested taking clothes I would ordinarily have taken to the Salvation Army and just leave them for the maids as I use them. They then can sell or use them. Good idea to make room for purchases. <BR> <BR>Thanks again. Elsa

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 03:03 PM
Dirk

I planned on taking my Eagle Creek carryon as my only luggage on a trip to Italy. Unfortunately, I discovered that British Airways has a 13 pound weight limit on carryons for coach passengers.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:23 PM
lisa

I have had this bag for almost two years now and have taken many wonderful trips with it. Was only forced to check it once when the overhead bins were all full -- otherwise I have always been able to carry it on (I put the zip-off daypack under the seat in front of me and put the main bag in the overhead). It fits in the airline sizers just fine. I know some airlines have strict weight limits but have never been forced to have it weighed yet. This is the best bag I've ever owned; I find it very easy to maneuver and like the flexibility of the backpack straps although I rarely have to use them; I usually wheel it.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:47 PM
kam

Just one suggestion for Else. I too collect Italian ceramics but don't like to go the Salvation Army look. I put one (or two) of those lightweight nylon zipper bags that fold up into themselves in my carryon (be sure they have name tags attached). Once in Europe I transfer all of dh's and my dirty clothes into those nylon bags, rolling the clothes to fit the max in. On leaving Europe, we check the dirty clothes (who cares if dirty underwear gets lost, eventually it will find its way home) and carry on our good clothes wrapped around the ceramics. This system has worked many times. Can anyone tell me the best price you've been able to find for the E.C. Switchback Plus? I've found $260 so far and am concerned about what the poster above said about BA weight restrictions. Weight is also an issue in parts of South America and if it becomes more widespread, there goes my "system."

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Elsa

First of all - thank you all for your replies. <BR> <BR>Secondly - Kam. I just bought mine at REI for $175, but it is last years model. I compared it to this years & it wasn't different enough for me to pay the extra $$$. Maybe others would be more "discriminating" re the differences.