E-Tickets vs Paper Tickets Need Info

Nov 2nd, 2000, 11:04 AM
Curious George

E-Tickets vs Paper Tickets Need Info

Leaving for France in couple of weeks. Airline (TWA) issued e-tickets (Frequent Flyer award). No paper ticket, only normal e-ticket letter. Never used e-ticket to Europe before, only in States. All previous trips to Europe have been with "real" tickets. Since the immigration area at the airport often asks for proof of return tickets to show that you plan to leave country, will e-ticket "letter" be adequate, or will they insist on paper ticket? Anyone had experience along these lines? I am tempted to have real tickets issued when we check in for our flight leaving US. Need I?

Thanking all of you in advance for your input!

Nov 2nd, 2000, 11:27 AM
Greg

I used e-ticket to go to europe this year and they will issue you your return tickets here in the states. Thats great and all, but dont lose them while over in europe. I had a hard time keeping an eye on mine since I was backpacking for a month.

Nov 2nd, 2000, 11:30 AM
love2trvl

Hi Curious George:
There was a thread here earlier about e-tickets vs paper tickets. Someone had a nightmare at TWA from a gate agent dubbed "Dragon Lady" after her ticket was stolen. I'll see if it can be found...Berolsys Hotel was in the title.

Nov 2nd, 2000, 11:33 AM
love2trvl

I found it.
See the thread about passports, charge cards and a question.

Nov 2nd, 2000, 12:01 PM
MHS

It was I!!
Do get a paper ticket -- at least for your return through CDG. The CDG TWA check-in desk did not recognize e-ticket even though on the phone they did.

Because I had paid $15 for the paper tickets & had a photocopy of these, getting a replacement ticket was a relatively easy process -- plus additional cost. The poor folks standing in the line next to ours didn't have paper copies or anything other than agent letter -- were there when we arrived & were still there when we left. Clerk was firmly telling them the letter was Not A Ticket -- They Had No Tickets (she believed that if you did not agree or understand her, talking in caps made a difference .

Better safe than sorry.