E Coli outbreak

Jun 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

E Coli outbreak

The E. Coli outbreak sounds very serious. I understand that the epicenter is in northern Germany, but is everyone taking precautions when traveling elsewhere in Europe as well?

We will be going to Italy and France in 3 weeks. I'm saddened by the prospect of not eating fresh vegetables! We were so looking forward to eating everything. No tomatoes = no bruschetta?! Hopefully this will be all cleared up by then.
Jun 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM

Would love any more feedback on this, we are traveling to France, Germany and UK in July and 2 of us are vegetarian! I just cannot eat meat so I am wondering...hmm...what to eat? I am not clear on whether cooked vegetables can be affected.
Jun 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM

The latest guess is that this relates to sprouts grown and sold in Northern Germany. To date, the only reported cases have been among those that lived or traveled in Northern Germany.

So, the short answer (disclosure: I am not an epidemiologist, do not have inside information, and could be wrong), is that you are probably safe eating fresh produce outside of Northern Germany.
Jun 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM

No-one in Italy or France regards this story as anything other than an opportunity for Schadenfreude art Germany's expense. Italy's health minster was reported in Thursday's Corriere della Sera as recommending Italians not to drink the water in Germany: as fatuous a comment as only a Burlesque-oni appointee could mouth.

There have been no reported E-coli cases in France or Italy, except among people recently returned from the Hamburg area.
In Munich this afternoon (again: where there have been no reported E colicases, except among recent visitors to the Hamburg area), Bavarians - being sensible people - were happily eating vegetables.

I can't imagine anyone in New York would waste energy about abn outbreak confined to one city in California, unless they were going to that city. Or professional worryworts.

No-one currently knows what's causing the outbreak, and theories are changing all the timew. Local health officials were last heard (around 1800 CET todat) to be saying the sprouted veg theory lacked evidence.

Ayone in the Hamburg area should avoid whatever's being advised against - cooked or raw. Outside Hamburg and its surroundings, on current evidence, there's nothing to worry about.
Jun 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM

To be fair, the German authorities brought the mockery on themselves. They tried to blame the entire incident on Spanish cucumbers, without any evidence, damaging the Spanish agricultural industry quite severely. Heck, part of the reason this became such big news is that there was fear that the problem might extend much further than Hamburg.

Had the authorities been more measured in their initial claims, then others wouldn't be taking such obvious glee in seeing them tuck their tails between their legs and admit the problem is their own.