Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Duty-free Scotch at Charles de Gaulle Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be flying out of Heathrow in July with a transfer at CDG, then on to Seattle. Our aircraft at Heathrow is 6:40 AM, so I assume the duty-free shops, let alone the great World of Whiskies, will not be open that early. We've always liked to bring back a couple of bottles of single malt Scotch (e.g.,Glenfarclas 15-year) that are not carried in the limited inventory of the Washington State Liquor Board liquor stores or even imported into the U.S.

Our CDG flight is in later morning, so I wonder if there are stores at CDG (post-security checkpoints) that sell Scotch to travelers departing on non-stop international flights from CDG.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM

You'll have no problem buying Scotch at CDG
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM

<i>You'll have no problem buying Scotch at CDG</i>

but you selection will probably be much more limited. I suspect that even your state liquor stores will carry what you find at CDG.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Any reason why you couldn't purchase what you like from a store in England and keep it in your checked luggage?
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Ditto Sarastro and Michael.

Also, IMO the prices of booze at CDG don't warrant the moniker "duty free." Best buys are at AMS.

Even if you could purchase at LHR for carry on it would be confiscated at CDG according to present EU rules.

Another option is to buy it on the return flight to Seattle. Check out the duty free catalog as you fly over to Europe to do some pre-shopping.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM

" it would be confiscated at CDG according to present EU rules. "

Since when?

And what makes the poster think the Heathrow duty-frees will be closed at peak shopping time?

I've never taken a morning flight out of Heathrow and found a closed dutyfree: some do close a bit before thge last flight out at night - but they're all functioning at 0530. And dutyfrees sealed in the special bag at an EU airports are allowed hrough security other EU airports.

But by all means email the BAA shopping people to check
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM

"Any reason why you couldn't purchase what you like from a store in England and keep it in your checked luggage?"

Have you looked at the price of Scotch in Britain? That's why duty-free was invented: Ireland on independence inherited the British approach to taxing hooch and left it uchanged
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The only place you can purchase bottled liquor to carry on the plane is on your last direct flight, so you must purchase at CDG. 90% of the whiskey sold at CDG is Scotch, if that's any consolation. Nevertheless, the selection will almost certainly be limited to the top brands.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Just make sure you check prices before you leave home. Some brands are much better buys than others.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Flanner, last year we were unable to purchase duty free at Ams for our trip to Phoenix as we transferred flights at Heathrow. the same was true on the return flight. I assume the same rule applies from Heathrow to CDG, so Spaarne is almost certainly right on this.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM

<i>Have you looked at the price of Scotch in Britain?</i>

Yes I have and at current exchange rates they are quite cheap right now. Additionally, for someone who wants a 15 year single malt scotch that may not be available where he lives, price may not be the deciding factor.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these responses. I probably wouldn't purchase at CDG an item I could get in Seattle unless it were an enormously great savings. I'm more interested in buying the odd obscure bottle unavailable in the US like the 15-year Glenfarclas I've purchased a couple of times at the World of Whiskies at Heathrow. I agree that it is likely only the most popular large sellers will be available at CDG duty-free. I'll check the on-aircraft offerings in case someone has slipped a keeper in there.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 12:46 AM

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/
I can't help with the choice of whisky at CDC,but the link I have posted is my local whisky shop here in Edinburgh,they have a huge range and ship to the USA.
I am a great lover of Glenfarclas,if you like the 15 y.o have a look for Glenfarclas 105 the cask streth version,vry nic stuff.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

unglegus,

Thank you for the tip on Edinburgh shop. My wife and visited Edinburgh in 2004 and strolled through a couple of whisky shops. Oddly, we can purchase the Glenfarclas 105 in Seattle, but not the 15-year, nor is the 15-year imported into the US. I'll check with the whisky shop you've recommended. It may not be legally possible for them to ship whisky to Seattle with intervention by the Washington State liquor store bureaucracy (US federal and Washington State taxes must be paid). I always add one measure of filtered, cool water (no ice) to my Scots whisky. I feel it opens up the whisky a bit. Would you add some filtered water to the 105 Glenfarclas?
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:30 AM

I could have sworn I posted the World of Whisky opening hours on this thread. Bottom line was:- they're open
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 04:27 AM

Yes,I usually add a touch (or as we call it a"threat") of water to cask strenth whiskies.