Reload this Page >

Duty Free. Good Deal?

Search

Duty Free. Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Dave

Duty Free. Good Deal?

I am the worst comparison shopper in the world. But whenever I get to Heathrow, it is very tempting. Has anyone actually compare prices of alcohol and other items from the duty free shops? <BR><BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Moonbeam

I have often found the perfumes and colognes can be purchased cheaper at marshall's, TJ MAXX or from perfumania. If you want chocs buy them in a regular grocery in town, and with alcohol..sometimes you can find better deals at the high stret shops if they are having specials. Tke down side being you have to lug it around..so if a few dollars is worth it you may want to shop in town or with perfumes check another source. Perfumania is online shopping ..check their prices before you leave and then comparison shop.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:12 AM
x

Dave, thanks for posting this question, as I wonder the same thing. I'm thinking of buying a cell phone in Europe. Anyone know if there are good prices at the airport? Thanks

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Another X

I never thought much about prices, but I would find myself at the airport with a pocket full of lire or francs, and decide to spend them all in the duty free shops as a treat to myself. Now with the new currency I'd rather go home with a pocket full of Euro that I can use on the next trip!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Andre

x,<BR><BR>Re: cell phones - there are branches of the Dixons chain of eletronics stores at Heathrow which claim to offer the same prices as in town minus VAT - even if you aren't leaving the EU! I bought a Palm Pilot there once after comparing prices and it was a good deal.<BR><BR>Selection may not be as good as in a downtown location however. Also make sure that the phone you purchase works on the frequency you need (900/1800 for Europe/Asia and 1900 for the US) and doesn't have a "SIM lock" which prevents you from switching network operators.<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR>Andre

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Patrick

I think there is often a misconception that you won't have to pay duty on items you are bringing back to the US that you bought from a "duty free" shop. Those items were supposedly free of the store paying duty on them when they imported them, so in theory they are passing the savings on to you. But you still need to declare those items as things you bought and you will need to pay duty on them at US customs if they have put you over your limit.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:26 AM
MJ

Just another note. Actually what you are saving yourself from paying is the VAT---Value Added Tax which is often 17 percent or more. However that is about IT. But again, in the past, it has been a way of getting rid of what you had left of the foreign money. Like mentioned, the use of the Euro may well change that. Good luck. MJ