Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dusseldorf business trip: any restaurant advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm off to Dusseldorf for business this weekend. Both my hotel and the office are RIGHT at the airport and I know I can take my evening meals at the hotel but am wondering if anyone can recommend any worthwhile restaurants either in vicinity of airport or that merit a trip into the town centre?

I will try and get into the centre, particularly the old town area, one evening if I can if only for a short stroll/ mini sight-see.

THANKS
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 04:08 AM

Hi Kavey,

I'm not sure, if you will read this answer just in time, but for any case: my advice: go to the "Altstadt" (old town area) to one of the breweries: Hausbrauerei Zum Schlüssel (Bolkerstraße 41 - 47; Hausbrauerei Uerige, Berger Straße 1; Brauerei Zum Schiffchen, Hafenstraße 5 or Brauerei im Füchschen, Ratinger Straße.

It is not Fine Dining, but it is typical for this City and if you like beer, you are right here.

On this weekend we also have a "wine-event" and on Sunday the "Fischmarkt" at the Tonhallenufer. Ask at you hotel; they will help you, finding the way.

Enjoy your time in Duesseldorf
Best regards
Gudrun
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM

Düsseldorf has five restaurants with at least one Michelin Star

- Schiffchen in Kaiserswerth (2 stars - right near the airport - a 5 min taxi drive),
- Tafelspitz 1867 in Düsseltal (also 5 min by taxi),
- Victorian in the Center (8 min by taxi),
- Berens am Kai in the harbour (10 min by taxi),
- Hummerstübchen in Lörick (2 stars - 5 min by taxi).

Another option is you take a taxis into the Altstadt and just walk and see which of the several hundred restaurants there appeals to you.

Another option: Düsseldorf has a large Japanese population. This gives you the chance to eat authentic Japanese. The best one is the Benkay in Hotel Nikko (Immermannstraße, very close to the Hauptbahnhof).

Guten Appetit!
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies, very helpful indeed!

Mecky, unfortunately I don't like either beer or wine but I had still considered a brewery restaurant, just because I've been told it's a typical/ traditional option.

What is the fischmarkt please? Is it what it sounds like - a market selling fresh fish? Or are there stalls selling cooked fish?

Traveller1959, thanks for the recommendation for the michelin starred places, maybe I might treat myself! Not sure though as my colleague that I'll be staying in hotel with is on tight budget so won't want to exceed the expenses budget whereas I don't mind exceeding it. But to have these options so close by is great to know.

THANK YOU!

Do you know roughly price of taxi from airport to old town?
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:43 AM

The Fischmarkt is an event on 2 August. Expect about 90 stalls with arts and crafts, delicatessen and snacks. And live music! Certainly a lot of fun. On the riverbank at the Tonhalle.

The taxi fare should be something between 10 and 15 Euros.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM

Hi mecky,

I know the Doctor Jazz moved a block. Is it still going as in the good old days?
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM
DAX

traveller1959:
I tried doing a search on the Tafelspitz 1867 you recommended but found anything. Do you have the link for it? Tafelspitz is one of my absolute favorites especially if it's on the same level as Plachutta(Vienna), does it come close?
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 02:15 AM

I am so sorry for my typo - I misspelled the restaurant's name.

This is the link to the restaurant's website:

http://www.tafelspitz1876.de

This is the link to online reservations (Open Table):

http://www.tafelspitz1876.de/reservierung.htm

The restaurant is not comparable to Plachutta. I love Plachutta, but for rustic, regional cuisine. Tafelspitz 1876 is a true gourmet restaurant. The food is much more refined, they serve 8-course menus at quite reasonable rates. There are not many Michelin-starred restaurants which serve a full menu for just 79 Euros.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
DAX

I see it's more italian/mediterranean gourmet, what an unusual name. Thanks traveller, I'll keep it handy for the next time I get to Duesseldorf.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to pop back and say thanks for the advice.

Of course, things didn't work out quite to plan. On the first night I and a colleague ate in the (rather overpriced) hotel restaurant. They have a couple of less expensive ones neither of which were open. It was a nice enough meal but lacking in atmosphere and, as I said, too expensive for what it was.

The next night I'd planned to go off into the town centre on my own but I found myself feeling rather poorly during the day at the office so I wasn't up to it in the end. I ended up in that same hotel restaurant and then had an early night.

The third night 6 of us from the office, all visiting from UK and staying in same hotel, went out into Dusseldorf. We had dinner in one of the brewery restaurants that have been mentioned. The one we ate in was, I think, Brauerei Zur Uel and then we had some further drinks in another one just on opposite corner. Both on Ratingerstraße. The simple meal at Uel was very enjoyable, but as I don't drink beer it would not have been my choice if I was on my own. But with a group I enjoyed it.