Reload this Page >

Dusseldorf and surrounding areas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 1998, 10:49 PM
sarah

I am travelling to dusseldorf and the surrounding areas in late Sept, any suggestions of places to visit and things to do ?

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 05:11 AM
Lee

Sarah: Dusseldorf is quite pretty and I guess it's considered to be the fashion capital of Germany. It has many elaborate stores, cafes, etc. that are worth a walk through. In other areas, you can hop on the autobahn and it's not far to Cologne which has a beautiful cathedral ("Dom") near the river and then further on there is Bonn, the former capital. I've been to all three cities, but I would suggest going a little farther south to Koblenz. There is a bridge there that crosses the Rhine river. I would first drive the "west" side through all of the little towns like St. Goars, Oberwesel, Bacharach, etc., continuing on to Mainz. You can either cross over to Weisbaden or drive back up just a few "clicks" and take the ferry (auto-ferry) over to Rudesheim (it's easier) and take a stroll thru the popular Drosselgasse and go up to the cable car at the top of the hill in town and take a ride over the vineyards. What a view! In Rudesheim, drive back along the river, heading to Koblenz (about 65 km) through all of the other towns like Lorch, Assmanshausen, St. Goarshausen, etc., stopping at the Lorelei. You'll see castle after castle on either side and will enjoy the trip immensely. The drive from Bonn to Koblenz will take about two hours, but you can spend a day on the Rhine. If you are not renting a car, then the train will get you to all of these places easily. I would suggest spending a night in one of the Rhine towns like Bacharach. If you have lots of time, then head west from Koblenz and drive over to Trier (the city is over 2,000 years old) along the Mosel river, another fantastic drive. <BR> <BR>Have fun, take lots of film. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 10:05 PM
sarah

<BR>Thanks Lee, what a mind of information ! <BR> <BR>You've been a great help !!