Due per Firenze?

Apr 19th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Jenifer

Due per Firenze?

I am trying to create a phrase that I am going to use to buy tickets from Rome to Florence. Basically, I am trying to say:

Two tickets to Florence
For Friday, May 17
Departing 8:35 am
One Way
First class
Reserved seats?
Anything else?

Thanks for your help

Jenny

Apr 19th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Dayle

Hi Jenifer!

I don't speak Italian, but here are a few key words. Ticket agents in Rome will probably have enough English to get you the tickets you want anyway. Perhaps Vincenzo or Santa Chiara came provide the grammer/corrections?

Vorrei due biglietti a Frienze
I would like 2 tickets to Florence

Solo andate
Only to go (one way)

Andate e ritorno
Round trip

Venerdi
Friday

Maggio
May

etc., etc.

Try to learn some of the basic words you will need. Days of the week, numbers, Italian names for cities.

It's also very helpful to print out the train schedules from trenitalia for your point to point travel. If all else fails, you can point to the train you want. Works well.

Buon viaggio! And be certain to learn the 4 essential words -

Per favore
Grazie
Vino
Gelato

Apr 19th, 2002, 05:27 PM
StCirq

Due bigletti a Firenze, per favore, in primo, per due adulti (if it's two adults), venerdi il diciasette maio, partenza a otto ore trenta-cinque, riservati, andate solo. Mille grazie.

Ditto to the four essential words. I'd add olio and pane.

Apr 19th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Barb

Some good comments here. You may also want to carry a small notepad and pen, which you can use to write something as simple as:

biglietti per 2 persone
Roma a Firenze solo andate(one way)
con prenotazione(reservation)
17 maggio a 8:35
prima classe

everyone who knows a few words of English will have an easier time if you write it down for them, and by the same token, if you can't understand the available times or ticket price, show your notepad and say "Scrivete, per favore" It's not 100% correct grammar, but they will understand. I had a lot of fun using my newly learned skills in Italian, and I found that almost everyone I spoke to was very helpful and forgiving of less than perfect language ability.

Apr 19th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Ian

I don't want to be a spoil sport but why don't you use the automatic ticket vending machines which are multiple language and accept credit cards.

Apr 19th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Sherry

This solution doesn't solve the "two" for you, but print up the schedule from the Trenitalia site with the towns, times and hilite what you want to do. This is what I did and just gave it to the ticket seller.
Now, I admit, it would be much better to try to communicate. But if all else fails, this works well.